walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bainloch Hill

Bainloch Hill

Postby iangpark » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:52 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bainloch Hill

Date walked: 02/11/2017

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 6.35 km

Ascent: 330m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had hoped for the first public TR of Bainloch Hill on here to be within the bounds of an already known route, but this was thrown a bit off course. Bainloch is one of the last two marilyns on my internal list that I'd like to do in Dumfries - Bennan being the other. It was meant to be a day of excellent weather, and indeed it was - not one cloud over my head all day.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I paid £5.70 for a return to Sandyhills from Dumfries and, after a relaxing and warm bus journey, I got off the bus at around 11:45. Taking the right as I left the parking area, I came to the Laggan Farm road (first left) in a few minutes.

Road along:
1 - Road In.jpg

After passing by three majestic oak trees on the left, I came to an old rusty gate that avoids going through the farm itself. It instead took me into the back of an in-the-works holiday home.

Not finished yet:
2 - New Holiday Home.jpg

I passed it by on the right and continued up, but just after I'd curved round to the right, what must have been the owner, drove by in his 4x4. He said I wasn't allowed to continue on the path because of the forestry workings, but that I should use the other path at the other side of the hill instead. I could have done this, but it would have added at least an extra hour onto the day and I had wanted a bit of an adventure anyway. I instead turned around and went through the clear felling area over to the long dry stone dyke that follows the hill almost to the summit. It was a freshly-cut site and there was machinery to the west of me, but luckily no one nearby.

Looking back through the brash:
3 - Through the Brash.jpg

I made it to the wall and awkwardly followed it up - it was a bit blocked so had to briefly join the boggy field to get past. I also realised that the deer fences were going to be a bit of an issue. I made it into an area of deciduous woodland where the gradient was steep and picked a point to crawl underneath the fencing.

Don't know how I managed it:
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

After this it was an easy but sweaty climb up the contours of Fairgirth Hill. At the top of the first ridge, I could hear a distinctive bird call. It turned out to be a Jay (which I have never seen before). I saw another three throughout the day but didn't manage to bag a photo of any of them. At the same point, as I was standing still, a male goat started to walk towards me, thinking I was a fellow goat. It got right up to me on the other side of the dry stone dyke before it looked up agasp and sprinted off back down the hill 'meh-ing' to his other friends. They reappeared below me a few seconds later.

Goats:
7 - Goats.jpg

Some deer too:
6 - I Saw Them First.jpg

The way up looked relatively clear:
5 - Follow the Wall.jpg

I made my way back down again to the boggiest section of the day, present on other TRs. I had to carefully manoeuvre around the burn as my boots are no longer waterproof, but I got wet feet anyway.

There was some fascinating lichen past the burn:
8 - Fascinating Lichen.jpg

The way back up again was equally steep and very slippy as a lot of rocks were around. The fence is fallen in a few places here so I would advise crossing at one of these areas, rather than trying to climb over at a previously undamaged area. I followed it slightly too far, but made my way into the very deep heather and up to the top in no time.

Red Admiral Sunbathing at the Summit:
9 - Red Admiral Sunbathing at the Summit.jpg

Cairn:
15 - Cairn.jpg

I have saved all the views until now as they are absolutely spectacular. Bainloch Hill has some of the best views I've had on a marilyn so far.

Lake District:
10 - Lake District.jpg

Galloway Coast:
12 - Galloway Coast.jpg

Cairnsmore of Fleet:
13 - Cairnsmore of Fleet.jpg

Galloway Forest Park, with Rhinns of Kells and Range of the Awful Hand:
14 - Over to Galloway Forest Park.jpg

Cairnsmore of Carsphairn:
11 - Cairnsmore of Carsphairn.jpg

I had my lunch at the summit and sat around for a good half hour before setting back off. The feeling of the sun on my back felt great. I decided that I would descend the way I would have came up had I not been advised otherwise.

Considerable bog on way back down to fire break:
16 - Considerable Bog.jpg

Following the firebreak down:
17 - Through the Fire Break.jpg

I joined the path and went right, eventually ending up at a large expanse of clear felling, with a forestry vehicle nestled away at the far end. I didn't see anyone else on the way down, except another Jay and some inquisitive deer. There was an empty farmyard to pass through, as well as two huge deer gates.

Red or Roe?:
18 - Red or Roe.jpg

After making it back, I passed through the area where I saw the holiday home and followed my steps back to the main road. I had just under an hour and a half until the next bus so thought I'd pay a visit to the Sandyhills-Rockliffe coast path. It was packed full of dog walkers, but the views made up for it.

Solway Bird:
19 - Solway Bird.jpg

Fish Traps:
20 - Fish Traps.jpg

'Needle's Eye':
21 - Needle's Eye.jpg

Beach patterns:
22 - Beach Patterns.jpg

Lone painter:
23 - Lone Painter.jpg

Equally pleasant journey back home again.
Last edited by iangpark on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Re: Bainloch Hill

Postby Stefan1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:25 am

Great wildlife and some excellent views, looks like a fabulous day!
Stefan1

Postby iangpark » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:44 am

Stefan1 wrote:Great wildlife and some excellent views, looks like a fabulous day!

Thank you Stefan! Been really enjoying your reports too!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby desmondo1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:21 pm

Hi Ian i am hoping to do this during this week. Will be driving so where would you suggest parking if doing the hill from the other side? If not sure I will just follow your route up.
Good report.
Ta
Des
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Postby iangpark » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:54 pm

desmondo1 wrote:Hi Ian i am hoping to do this during this week. Will be driving so where would you suggest parking if doing the hill from the other side? If not sure I will just follow your route up.
Good report.
Ta
Des

Hi Des,

Best to follow the 'Carole Engel Route' if possible:

"Un-mapped track from NX884570 almost to top. leave track at NX893573 and climb easy steep break to heather and billberry summit (feint path)" - I believe you could park a car there if need be.

If you're thinking from the E then very good luck to you - I've heard some treacherous stories! From looking at OSMaps satellites, there is a forest ride that takes you up (if a bit in the wrong direction) that you could follow up onto the moorland. Not a car-owner myself, but there are roads on the W, N and E.

Best of luck,

Ian

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).png
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby desmondo1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:16 am

Ok thanks for that advice Ian. Will do and will post a short report.
Des
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Postby inca » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:57 am

Hi Des,

Just been re-reading Ian's report and the comments thread. If it helps any, I did Bainloch from the west in summer in last year. Just after Criffel. I have a trip report pending for the day but -as ever- I'm well behind with it :roll: . Below are notes I made on my route, along with half a dozen photos taken at the time.

Bainloch Hill GR 893571

Right fork in minor road north of Doonside. Park on verge at GR 881571. Walk north to start of track at GR 882572. Pass to left of barn and then keep slightly right after 100m to reach metal gate and new forest road. Leave this at firebreak on right at GR 893573. After approx 150-200m, emerge only 150m northeast of summit cairn. Cross rough ground to reach same. Return as outward route.

Pic 1 - parking
ImageUntitled by NDM, on Flickr

Pic 2 - track on right hand side of minor road

Pic 3 - keep right after barn

Pic 4 - gate and new forest track

Pic 5 - start of firebreak

Pic 6 - firebreak once underway

I was up and down in 1hr 15m, including 5-10 mins taking pics at the top. Same firebreak as Ian refers to but different start/finish point. The road's narrow so had a bit of faffing to get the car off to the side, and the firebreak's rough in parts. Otherwise, no regrets. It's straightforward enough. Cheers.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Postby UrbanExplorer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Aha.. at last you managed to get and out it looks like you had a grand day. Did you manage to get out on the Ochils. I'll maybe need to try some walking further South :D
UrbanExplorer

Munros:48   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:11   

Postby iangpark » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:02 pm

UrbanExplorer wrote:Aha.. at last you managed to get and out it looks like you had a grand day. Did you manage to get out on the Ochils. I'll maybe need to try some walking further South :D

Haha unfortunately not! This walk is actually from last year in some decent weather. You'll need to look at my Campsie Bumps report for what I got up to instead - Ochils still next in line however (hopefully weekend after next). D&G can have a very relaxing influence, and you can get the same feeling of remoteness as anywhere in the highlands. I also prefer their marilyns quite often too :)
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby desmondo1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:27 pm

Very helpful. I am also intending to do Criffel 1st then Bainloch. The forecast is good so hopefully get some nice views.
Cheers
Des
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland