walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pretty walk through the forest

Pretty walk through the forest

Postby Pheebs273 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:15 am

Route description: Water of Minnoch circuit, Glen Trool

Date walked: 08/06/2017

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 98m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Very scenic route through the Galloway forest park and along the Water of Minnoch. The walk itself is not signposted but there are Southern Upland Way markers along the route. This was a wildlife rich walk - lots of birds, butterflies, foxgloves and bluebells along the walk, it was a lovely, unspoiled route.

Start of the walk
ImageIMG_4774 by Phoebe Warner, on Flickr

The view from a bench in a little beauty spot with the Merrick in the background
ImageIMG_4777 by Phoebe Warner, on Flickr

The path along the water
ImageIMG_4781 by Phoebe Warner, on Flickr

Lilly pads
ImageIMG_4785 by Phoebe Warner, on Flickr

Would be a lovely spot for a picnic bench under the trees
ImageIMG_4787 by Phoebe Warner, on Flickr

Stepping stones over the wall (you can get around the wall at the end if you don't fancy these!)
ImageIMG_4791 by Phoebe Warner, on Flickr

Unfortunately from here I followed the SUW markers a bit too closely and ended up at the main road :roll: so I turned back and went up the cycle road back to the car park; a long and boring walk but being straightforward it didn't take long before I was back at the car. And I did see a lot of stonechats on the way! At least I'll know for next time :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Pheebs273
Wanderer

Corbetts:2
Fionas:7   Donalds:17+5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland