walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Thomas Muir Trail and Lennox Castle

The Thomas Muir Trail and Lennox Castle

Postby Pheebs273 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:01 am

Date walked: 03/11/2017

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 167m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After giving up on walking up the Campsie fells due to mist and drizzle, I parked on the road of the Glazert hotel in Lennoxtown and decided to follow the footpath signs for the Thomas Muir trail. After about 2km into the walk I took a path off to the right that leads to the Clauchan of Campsie. Here I walked through the Schoenstatt Pilgrimage and Retreat Centre and down to a little car park where there is a gallery, cafe and a couple of other shops. Next to the gallery is what is left of St Machan's Church and it's very busy graveyard. There is a mausoleum here of which the Lennox family, of Lennox Castle before it was an asylum, are buried beneath.

The graveyard with the mausoleum on the right
ImageIMG_5386 by Phoebe Warner, on Flickr

I turned back here, went through the Woodland Walkway of Schoenstatt and back onto the Thomas Muir trail and headed upto the creepy Lennox Castle (which I didn't know existed until I saw it looming out of the trees ahead) :shock:

Start of the Woodland Walk and the burn that runs through it
ImageIMG_5392 by Phoebe Warner, on Flickr
Image[/url]IMG_5394 by Phoebe Warner, on Flickr

First view of the castle
ImageIMG_5397 by Phoebe Warner, on Flickr

I took a path off to the right of the castle and found Lover's Leap, a small viewing platform. Unfortunately, most of the view is hidden by the surrounding trees now.

Full view of the castle and it's mangled stairs
ImageIMG_5398 by Phoebe Warner, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5402 by Phoebe Warner, on Flickr

Lover's Leap
ImageIMG_5403 by Phoebe Warner, on Flickr

Back to the castle and onto the road past the Celtic training ground, then onto the trail and back at the car. All in all a great walk which I had not intended on doing and I've learnt a lot about Lennox Castle and it's history!
Pheebs273
Wanderer

Corbetts:2
Fionas:7   Donalds:17+5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland