walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Peebles wanders

Peebles wanders

Postby basscadet » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Route description: Cademuir Hill Forts and the Tweed, Peebles

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cademuir Hill

Date walked: 06/11/2017

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 14.8 km

Ascent: 465m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Headed to Peebles for a leg stretch to try some new boots.

Cademuir hill 6 11 17.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Started out through the suburbs, followed a John Buchan way sign which wasn't accurate, but managed to find it again later on. Trees were looking lovely around the schools rugby pitches, but I was soon heading through muddy green fields upward.

ImageDSCN3737 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3740 by Seana Carroll

I entered the forest where there are plenty of paths - beware though, some of them jut loop back to where they started :lol: :lol: I did get on to a path which followed the ridge, and eventually came out of the forest into a felled area the top just a few hundred metres away. Bit of a dull hill really, but if I was going to visit the forts, might as well do the top as well.

ImageDSCN3741 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3742 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3743 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3745 by Seana Carroll

I returned by the same route for a bit, before heading out to the grassy hillside. In the next col, there was supposedly a fort or settlement, but not much left, the next fort the same, but the last one was good, you could see the layout and I liked it 8) Shame it was windy, and what a cold wind too! So I stopped at a sheepfold further down, where there was a good sitting rock.

ImageDSCN3746 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3747 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3748 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3749 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3752 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3753 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3755 by Seana Carroll

Then I wound my way down to the tweed which I followed back to Peebles. Bonny trees and scenery for the most part, although there is a section along the railway which is a bit drab. Very muddy though :?

ImageDSCN3757 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3758 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3760 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3765 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3770 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3773 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3774 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3775 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3776 by Seana Carroll
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland