walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First winter snow on the new corbett

First winter snow on the new corbett

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Cnoc Coinnich

Date walked: 05/11/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 670m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm not a great fan of the drive to Arrochar - the section between Ardlui and Tarbet is narrow and twisty - though the road works which used to cause long delays are finally over. I thought I'd finished the Arrochar Corbetts but then a newly promoted one Cnoc Coinnich was added and it seemed a good choice for a November day. As I dropped down into Arrochar, the Cobbler was resplendent in the sunshine and I had to stop and take a photo.

5265.jpg

I pushed on down to Ardgartan drove along the road to the parking place, set off up Collason Glen, branched off onto the path on the L and continued boggily to the cairn at the high point on the Cowal way with a small lochan beside it. The Loch Goil hills suddenly come into sight.
5271.jpg
Looking back near the start
5274.jpg
Looking up to the Brack on the R
5276.jpg
The Loch Goil hills from the Lochan
5277.jpg
The Brack from the high point
5283.jpg
Across to Ben Luibhean, Ben Ime and The Cobbler
There were a couple resting by the cairn who'd just done the hill - " it's boggy" they said, They were right. I sploshed my way between the white poles that mark the route : after about half a Km I turned diagonally L towards the North ridge and promptly plunged in knee deep, fell forward and soaked both gloves :(
5286.jpg
Snow on Ben Lomond - but much of it melted during the day
5289.jpg
The steepest part of the ridge
Once on the ridge, the terrain was a bit better, and I reached the pleasantly airy cairn quite easily. There was still a trace of snow and a chilly NW wind, but just below the top on the SE side there is a wonderfully sheltered ledge where I sat down had some lunch and admired the splendid views :D .
VIEWS FROM THE TOP

5292.jpg
The Loch Goil Hills
5293.jpg
Looking down the Clyde - the round synmmetrical hump of Ailsa Craig in the centre, Arran on the R
5294.jpg
Another view South - slightly further L
5296.jpg
The Luss Grahams
5298.jpg
Zoomed view North to Stobinian - Cruach Ardrain just to its L - Ben More is directly behind . Beinn Narnain on the L
5298a.jpg
Zoomed view - Arrochar and Ben Lomond - Stuc a Chroin behind maybe
5299.jpg
N to Ben Ime and The Cobbler
5300.jpg
Ben Donich beyond the summit cairn : I guess the sharp spikes behind are Beinn an Lochain
5301.jpg
Cruachan in the distance on the L - 35Km away
While I was sitting there a Raven appeared and landed on the cairn. i got one photo, but as I tried to get nearer it flew off laughing at me raucously :lol:
5301a.jpg

I decided to head directly back - the map showed no big outcrops and the terrain could scarcely be worse than on the ascent. :) I headed firstly towards Ben Lomond and then traversed down and L towards the edge of the forest
5305.jpg
I headed towards Ben Lomond
The terrain steepens quite a bit above the forest and I went a fraction too low and had to climb up 10m or so a couple of times to cross gullies. The golden rule in this situation is "follow the deer". It never fails. I duly reached the gate into the forest and returned to the car. The whole landscape was lit up by a vivid yellow orange light :D
5329.JPG
Evening light on the Brack
5331.jpg
Tullich hill - across Loch Long
This continued all the way to Tarbet and beyond , but stopping the car is not easy on that road: I managed to snap Ben Lomond from Inveruglas, but it was much better earlier. Altogether an excellent day :D
5336.jpg
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: First winter snow on the new corbett

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:59 am

Looks like an enjoyable walk and you took some great photos. My friends who grew up locally in Cove and Roseneath will need to get up there with me for an aerial view of their home turf.

Good to know it's quite boggy higher up and the Brack looks straightforward from the bealach. Pretty sure that is Stuc a'Chroin just behind Ben Lomond and I like how Ben Cruachan is framed amongst the rocky surrounding hills, cheers! :clap:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:01 pm

Good day for it - a lot nicer than I got a year ago despite a decent forecast....(....now where I have I heard that before :roll: ) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. Once you get off the Cowal way the bogginess is only "average" and the views are nice. I did think of doing the Brack as well - I've only done it in poor weather - but my hands and feet were very wet :( and I really needed to have started earlier
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby Graeme D » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Some lovely long range photos there. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Jaxter » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:39 pm

I always enjoy the drive to Arrochar because it avoids the section of road from Tarbet to Crianlarich. You must be coming from further north :lol:

Some cracking photies though, I could barely see my hand in front of my face when I was up there. But I'm sure I'll revisit. Hopefully after a drought :lol: 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Graeme D wrote:Some lovely long range photos there. :D

Hi Graeme D
It's always that much clearer when the temperature drops a bit and freezes all the "rubbish" out of the air. In the Alps in the early morning you can see clearly for 100km +
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Jaxter wrote:I always enjoy the drive to Arrochar because it avoids the section of road from Tarbet to Crianlarich. You must be coming from further north :lol:

Some cracking photies though, I could barely see my hand in front of my face when I was up there. But I'm sure I'll revisit. Hopefully after a drought :lol: 8)

Hi Jackie
Yes I come from Strathearn so It's across to Crianlarich and then South. The Arrochar alps are good hills but too many big paths for my liking - even on the Corbetts. My local Corbett Meall na Fearna still looks almost "virgin" - even the cairn consists of only a dozen or so stones :D
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland