walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another Topping Day around Cramalt Craig

Another Topping Day around Cramalt Craig

Postby McMole » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:20 am

Donalds included on this walk: Cramalt Craig

Date walked: 05/11/2017

Time taken: 5.2 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 940m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another 7am start saw me parking by the Megget Reservoir at 8:20am below the road just past Cramalt Farm where the 1:25,000 map has a picnic site marked. A blue van was already there. An even earlier starter I thought. Then I heard the sounds of a dog and his master inside. As I climbed the slope opposite the picnic site I saw them surface.

171105 Cramalt Craig tops.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was a bright sunny day with patches of white cloud. It was cool but not as cold as the previous Monday and there had only been a slight touch of ice on the road down to the picnic site. The higher summits were cloud-capped, and as I nearer my first Donald Top of the day - Clockmore - I neared the mist. There was no marker for the highest point so I wandered around its reported NGR. From there a steady climb took me into thicker cloud with hoar frost and possibly a thin layer of snow covering the ground.
P1020057 s.JPG
Cramalt Craig summit cairn
At Cromalt Craig's summit cairn I turned sharply left to follow the fence towards my next objective - Hunt Law about 2.5km away. I noted that I had to cross another fence that branched left towards Broad Law, so when a fence duly appeared out of the mist I hopped over it and continued alongside the one that I 'knew' was leading me all the way to Hunt Pot. Some minutes later the steepening slope down, and a glimpse through the thinning mist of another heading steeply up where one shouldn't be, caused me to examine my Garmin. I discovered I was now heading along the fence to Broad Law. The fence I had crossed was a 'new' one not shown on the map. I very briefly contemplated adding Broad Law to my itinerary, decided that would be a Donald too far and turned 120 degrees to head north to get back on track. Approaching the col before Hunt Law I found an ATV track to follow, and though it dipped down below the col, it looked to join the tracks shown on the 1:25,000 map and be a better route that the heather clad slope across to a probably boggy col.
P1020058 s.JPG
Hunt Law in the distance
The decision was partially justified as it did join a good track to the summit after an initial muddy stretch. The Hunt Law summit is reported as being a small rock, and in what appeared to be the right location a sod of nearby turf had been cut and inverted on top of the only nearby exposed rock.
P1020059.JPG
Hunt Law summit with added sod
This summit was well below any cloud and was in bright sunshine with good views of the Culter Hills I'd walked the previous Monday.
P1020060 s.JPG
Culter Fell and Chapelgill Hill with Tinto in the far distance between them
P1020061 s.JPG
Coomb Dod, Hillshaw Head, Gathersnow and some of Coomb Hill
I now headed back towards Cramalt Craig following an ATV track along the ridge. As I neared 700m altitude a swing to the left cut the corner to Dun Law. Once past that summit I met a party of about eight walkers who had come up the track from Cromalt farm - my planned descent route - and were en route for Cromalt Craig. Fifescar Knowe about one kilometre further was my third Donald Top and second highest summit of the day, and it, Cromalt Craig and Broad Law were now clear of the cloud.
P1020064 s.JPG
Fifescar Knowe summit area looking towards Cromalt Craig and Broad Law
P1020067 s.JPG
Hoar frost blowing off the wires as the temperature rises
I reversed course to head downhill and pick up the track heading towards Notman Law soon after a couple with dog went past heading for Dollar Law. A small collection of rocks marked my final summit of the day.
P1020068 s.JPG
The Notman Law summit cairn
A steep 100m descent then landed me on a good track that led easily to the road and to my car after five and a quarter hours.

Another fine day in the hills, though when I was tramping through the hoar frost covered grass on top of Cromalt Craig in the icy wind I was thinking that it was time I switched to winter clothing.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland