walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

four big wild hills

four big wild hills

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Alder), Beinn Èibhinn, Càrn Dearg (Loch Pattack), Geal-chàrn (Alder)

Date walked: 15/06/1998

Time taken: 20 hours

Distance: 36 km

Ascent: 1760m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

New_Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It's a long walk whichever way you do these hills, and I reckoned that it would be easier if I included a bivouac . I had an early evening meal in Spean Bridge, drove to Moy and set off initially on the path to Loch Pattack, taking the RH branch round the back of Beinn a Chlachair beside the Alt Cam and where that ended pushing on up into Coire na Cosaig in the general direction of the munro top of Meall Glas Choire . I walked for about 4 hours until it got dark and then bivouaced.
It drizzled for much of the night but I set my large poly bag with the mouth downhill, and climbed into it head first but keeping the mouth open with my rucksack and poles.
However it wasn't the most comfortable of bivouacs :( and as soon as it was light I made a brew, ate some breakfast and pushed on in steadily improving weather - although the high tops remained covered in mist some time.
There was no real problem getting to Meall Glas Choire and Beinn Eibhinn and by keeping to the North edge continuing over Aonach Beag to the top of Geal Charn (the Anquet 1:50,000 calls it Gael Charn). The mist began to lift here, but I deliberately "aimed off" L across the snowy plateau in case it reappeared. I had no trouble finding the narrow descent path over Diollaid a Chairn to Carn Dearg. which was in bright sunshine :D
From here it was an easy descent to the Loch Pattack track and over the Bhealaich Leamhain back to the car.
I have just recently had all my old Highland slides scanned and here they are in the order they were taken - It's taken me a while to work out where they are but I think I've got it now. If anyone knows better please feel free to comment.
GEA01.jpg

GEA02.jpg

GEA03.jpg
Views North from Geal Charn over Beinn a Clachair - the distant snow is the Coire Ardair face of Creag Meagaidh
GEA04.jpg

GEA05.jpg
Anoach Beag and Beinn Eibhinn L from Geal Charn
GEA06.jpg
Looking NW to the Western part of Loch Laggan
GEA07.jpg
Looking back across the Geal Charn plateau
GEA08.jpg

GEA09.jpg

GEA10.jpg

GEA11.jpg

GEA12.jpg
Various views looking back to Loch an Sgor and Sgor Iutharn
Last edited by past my sell by date on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: four big wild hills

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Nice one! It's surely a fine area for a good wander.

Shocking amount of snow about for June, mind. I don't much envy you the bivvy :roll:.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: four big wild hills

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Nice one! It's surely a fine area for a good wander.

Shocking amount of snow about for June, mind. I don't much envy you the bivvy :roll:.

There always was more snow in those days Alteknacker - but as you can see the southern slopes of the hills to the North are snow-free except Meagaidh. Bivouacs are fine in early summer when there's only a few hours of darkness. They've enabled me to do so much more - though you seem to be able to go non-stop almost for "ever" :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland