walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dow Crag and Walna Scar

Dow Crag and Walna Scar


Postby andy63 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dow Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: Dow Crag

Date walked: 08/11/2017

Time taken: 5.5

Distance: 14.4 km

Ascent: 810m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When I first climbed Dow Crag a few years ago I wasn't sure if I'd actually got to the summit, which meant I now had an excuse to do it again.


our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts


NB theroute shown here was input manually and may not be accurate as a GPS guide.

I started from the car park near Torver village hall (£3 donation) and followed a minor road which becomes a track and then a path leading up to the Walna Scar pass.

P1000112.JPG


P1000113.JPG


P1000115.JPG
Dow Crag (left) and Coniston Old Man (right).


I briefly joined the Walna Scar Road before turning left onto the path up to Goat's Water.

P1000116.JPG
Walna Scar Road


P1000117.JPG
Path to Goat's Water


P1000119.JPG
Goat's Water


From here the easy way up would be continuing up the main path to Goat's Hawse and then along the ridge, but I decided on a more 'interesting' direct route up through the crags.This turned out to be harder than I was expecting.The scree path up to the base of the rocks was uncomfortably steep, and the South Rake - the only way up that isn't a technical rock climb - was an awkward steep scramble over loose rocks.

P1000121.JPG


P1000122.JPG
Not the way up.


P1000123.JPG
South Rake, faintly visible on the left


P1000124.JPG
Ascending the South Rake


So I was quite relieved to emerge onto the grassy ridge, where I turned right to follow a good path up to the rocky summit, with a short easy scramble to the top.
The MWIS weather forecast had predicted a 90% chance of cloud free summits. Unfortunately, Dow Crag was in the 10%. However, the cloud momentarily lifted while I was on the summit, long enough to confirm that I was definitely at the highest point, although not long enough to get a good photo of the view.

P1000125.JPG
Dow Crag summit


P1000126.JPG
Old Man appearing through the clouds


I then headed south along the ridge, visiting various minor summits including two Nuttalls, Walna Scar and White Maiden.

P1000127.JPG
Goat's Water and Coniston Water


P1000128.JPG
Harter Fell


P1000129.JPG
Brown Pike summit


P1000130.JPG
Walna Scar summit, looking back towards Dow Crag


P1000131.JPG
White Maiden


The final top, White Pike, marks the end of the ridge, beyond which there's a steep drop down to the valley.

P1000132.JPG
White Pike summit with Caw and Black Combe in the background


I returned back along the ridge and then down the Walna Scar Road to where I rejoined the ascent route.It was just starting to go dark as I got back to the car.
Attachments
P1000135.JPG
andy63
 
Posts: 266
Munros:47   Corbetts:5
Grahams:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Jul 21, 2012
Location: Manchester

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).


Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests