walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meikle Bin

Meikle Bin

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:10 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 11/11/2017

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was one of my many 'night before' plans, my original plan was to nip up my local hill Bishop Hill, but I find going up the same hill a tad boring and all I can do is try and improve my time. So rather than attempt a quicker time (because I knew I wouldn't manage it due to my level of fitness) I came up with a new option.
Studied my Marilyn map and am spoilt for choice with the amount of red balloons, however not many red ones nearby. I only had a maximum of 5 hours as I had been left in charge of Fiona's dogs whilst she was down south and Meikle Bin was a perfect fit, WH has it down as 2 to 3 hours.
Plan made I was up early and made sure the dogs were happy and was on the road in my "courtesy" car by 8am. My courtesy car is an Astra and is not a good advert for Vauxhall, suffice to say I won't be buying one, no Satnav, not even a CD player and a dodgy accelerator.
I arrived at the parking area at 9am having missed a turn off in Denny, because there was no sign post for Fintry, which there was after a 180 coming from the other direction - no Satnav didn't help!
It was a lovely crisp morning and the majority of the walk is on a good track that ascends and descends nice and gently through the forest.
I met a chap towards the end of the track he was on his way down with his dog and then a female near the summit who I would overtake on the descent. The final part after the track isn't difficult a bit boggy in places but compared to some of the higher hills very easy.
The summit offers superb views as it is an isolated hill, it was pretty chilly with a brisk breeze making it feeling even cooler. A few photo's and it was back down and back to the car. Met quite a few folk on the lower slopes of the track and was back at the car in a shade over 2 hours.
Meikle Bin is a super little walk.

Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland