walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

So much more Mamore....

So much more Mamore....

Postby katyhills » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:37 pm

Date walked: 02/09/2017

Time taken: 9.5 hours

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm very poor at doing walk reports, but I benefit so much from other people's reports, that I felt I should do more. More Mamores...what's not to like?
Arrived at Kinlochleven around half nine on a great looking day and off I went, ready to do battle with the two Binneins.
The obligatory look back down Loch Leven
DSCF5392 (640x470).jpg

The path is straightforward, and as long as you remember to bear left at the little cairned junction to continue round the lower slopes of Sgurr Eilde Beag, you soon arrive at the lochan at the foot of Sgurr Eilde Mor, with an early view of Binnein Beag and the Grey Corries in the distance
DSCF5394 (640x377).jpg

Sgurr Eilde Mor on the right - my first Mamore, done exactly eleven months previously
DSCF5395 (640x472).jpg

The path splits - straight on to head for Binnein Beag, or skirting round to the left in behind Eilde Beag, to climb up towards the ridge between it , Binnein Mor and Na Gruagaichean. I'd decided to do Mor first, for reasons I'll explain later. Stopped for a breather and had a nice view up to Binnein Mor
DSCF5399 (640x480).jpg

The path winds up to the ridge, and it's a nice wander along to the junction with the ridge connecting Mor and Gruagaichean, at around 3,400 feet. The views are pretty spectacular in every direction - The Ring of Steall , Nevis and the Aonachs in between those two
DSCF5403 (640x173).jpg

and the Glencoe hills to the south
DSCF5407 (640x166).jpg

Good views to Sgurr Eilde Mor and Coire an Lochain...
DSCF5404 (640x462).jpg

....and The Ring of Steall
DSCF5406 (640x388).jpg

It's half an hour to the jumble of rock that forms BInnein Mor's summit
DSCF5409 (640x479).jpg

and another good view of Sgurr Eilde Mor
DSCF5408 (640x473).jpg

Hard not to keep stopping to enjoy the views, and I could have taken the easier route off the summit via the northern ridge, but where's the fun in that? I opted for the more direct way down the loose scree to the bealach. I found myself singing a Paul Simon song # Slip, sliding away... :wink:
DSCF5412 (640x480).jpg

Craggy old northern face of B.Mor from the level 'shoulder' half way down
DSCF5420 (640x480).jpg

The lochan was looking like a good place for another short rest...
DSCF5422 (640x479).jpg

and the locals thought so too...
DSCF5428 (640x480).jpg

Less than an hour later, you get the surrounding hills in all their glory from Binnein Beag's scree covered summit
DSCF5429 (640x171).jpg

Anyone heading up Nevis and Carn Mor Dearg, was getting a great day
DSCF5434 (640x480).jpg

and ditto on the Grey Corries
DSCF5435 (640x390).jpg

The view back to Binnein Mor. This was the reason for doing it first. I'd reckoned if I'd done Beag first, the thought of heading up Mor might have had me bailing out at the lochan. Of course, I could have bailed before heading up Beag..... :wink:
DSCF5439 (640x478).jpg

I knew it was a good few hours back to the car, and my knees would be painful by then, but I sat with the summit to myself, enjoying the peace and quiet in the mid afternoon sun, and told myself again how lucky I was to be doing this.

What a bl**dy marvellous country we have! :D
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Re: So much more Mamore....

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:07 am

"What a bl**dy marvellous country we have! :D"

You are so right. Lovely to relive experiences on these hills.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Great report - it adds to my determination to go to Binnean Mor on my next visit to Scotland!

The idea of doing Mor first in case you might decide to turn back after Beag makes perfect sense to me!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby katyhills » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:44 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. I took loads of photos, but I don't like to put too many on!

To be honest, I'm not sure it is the best way to do them, Tim. It means that long walk back, whereas doing them the conventional way means you're nearer 'home' with your weary legs :D
I spent a lot of time sitting and looking. About two hours I think, and you can't beat it on a superb day like that. It's easy to get caught up in 'box ticking', but it's important to enjoy it too. I find that the most important consideration now, especially as my knees aren't great.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:51 am

I agree about the sitting and just looking! I recently sat in the same spot on Stob Dubh for over half an hour, just looking at the one view, down Glen Etive . For me, those are the best moments on the hills. Binnean Mor summit , especially, looks a great place for that!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:27 pm

Nice route, Binnein Mor is a big hill and you are doing all of it starting pretty much at sea level. I recently did Binnein Beag from Glen Nevis which is a good route also.
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:02 am

Thank you for sharing your report, I think it must be nearly impossible to get too much of The Mamores. I felt quite upset when I realised this summer that we had been up them all, but will definitely being going back to try them by other routes.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:14 am

Thank you - it's a great report. I have all the Mamores to look forward to, so your account and superb photos are helpful. I share the anticipation of ouchy knees on the descent :roll: , and also the songs in your head as you walk. I had Du bist die rechte Weg (you're the right way - a Bach ditty) accompanying me through the cloud off Sgurr Gaoith!
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby Grisu » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:11 pm

I just had wee look at your walk blog and decided to read this one which is very entertaining reading and encouraging to go back to that area as soon as possible, cheers :clap:
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland