walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cracking walk, lacklustre summit

Cracking walk, lacklustre summit

Postby basscadet » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Route description: Auchnafree Hill from Loch Turret

Corbetts included on this walk: Auchnafree Hill

Date walked: 18/11/2017

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 638m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So unexpected day off, decided to head up to Crieff for a wander.

Auchnafree Hill 17 11 17.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Bit of a bumpy road to the car park, where a few cars were parked. The Dam is nice as dams go - blends in nicely especially with the water levels being high at the moment. A quick tromp along the track saw me at a high point, so decided to take to the hillside there. Lots of sheep tracks on the hill, but the path I was heading for was obvious heading up the ridge so no route finding probs today.

ImageDSCN3840 by Seana Carroll

The path through the heather was narrow, and it was quite hard work pushing through the deep heather, especially because of the wind - big shoves every now and then :shock:

ImageDSCN3841 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3842 by Seana Carroll

Once up on the ridge, the wind was horrendous - had to brace against gusts every few steps which made for laborious going, although at least the heather had shortened so better going underfoot at least. I contemplated going down, but decided the wind was coming from a safe direction, and if I did get blown over I would at worst, end up in a peat bog so just keep going until that happens.

ImageDSCN3843 by Seana Carroll

There were a fe big cairns en route, and a massive one at the top near the track.

ImageDSCN3844 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3845 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3846 by Seana Carroll

I followed the track - it takes a crazy route that is neither level or direct, but the rain had come on, pelting one cheek with ferocity, so was happy at a speedy plod along the track for that bit :lol:

ImageDSCN3848 by Seana Carroll

I saw a herd of sheep, and knew they would be in a sheltered spot, and sure enough, there was an oasis of calm, where I sat and emptied my flask and had a sandwich.

ImageDSCN3849 by Seana Carroll

Just a featureless climb to the summit from there - rather disappointing really. A really good walk with a lacklustre summit is how I would sum u the walk :roll: Not sure the cairn is at the top either, as a lump nearby definitely involves some up.. :shock:

ImageDSCN3850 by Seana Carroll

I followed the rough path from the summit, the wind had eased up a bit so no bracing against the wind :) The path led to a boggy track which led to a proper track, couldn't see an easy way down to the track below, so just followed the track on its traversing course till the two met then headed down.

ImageDSCN3853 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3855 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3857 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3858 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3861 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3862 by Seana Carroll

The loch was beautiful late on a winters day - a lovely light enveloped everything and I didn't mind all the twists, ups and downs along the track and was regretful to get back to the car. Good day out and home in time for dinner :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland