walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Donachain

Beinn Donachain

Postby Benaden887 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Donachain

Date walked: 12/11/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11.8 km

Ascent: 760m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Donachain 12/11/2017 11.8km 760m 6hr

Between the glens of Orchy and Strae lies the nondescript Graham of Beinn Donachain @ 650m. my route for the day. A weather break hints for sun, wind and a cold outing, gives a try out for my new bought gloves and dodgy knees.

I park @ gr232305 Katnish cp, Glen Orchy and gear up. Frost is on the ground as I view a locked gate with warning signs on a wired suspension bridge. It spans the river Orchy here and being the shortest route to my top is good enough for me. Climb on and cross over. L, on a boggy path thro trees forestry to a new fenced area with a rusty padlocked double gate. Go 50m L for a walkers gate. Cross burn, grass and heather on an av track L then R to where a higher gate allows escape from this enclosure. The track runs on, as I climb between two outcrops and join a tired old fence line to crest the rise. A strong wind and bitter cold in the sunshine, so on with jacket and gloves. Take a direct line, across rough ground with some up and down, over another section of new fencing for a final push to the cairn. A break here on this barren plateau and look about. Ben Lui and Cruachan, tops in snow. Meall Garbh lies N across the Strae Glen and beyond it the more remote Beinn nan luss. I`d hoped to link these three over a big 12h day from Duiletter farm, to Donachain then NW up Coire dubh Ealcha for Garbh / Luss and return via Dhoireann. Ah well, the best dreamed schemes are sometimes never realised. I cross a small wet basin for a walkway to the second cairn, the true top to continue past lochan Uaine for another top which seemed higher. I return to the twin tops and my first cairn then head downhill. The new deer fence has a ladder style. Cross for Heart lochan and a look at the col with Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh, a winter`s day outing. Back then the trees had just been planted and gave easy passage to the hill. I consider a forest return, taking in the Eas Urchaidh falls, however on hearing stags bellowing somewhere in the trees ( they seem to dislike the colour red, being my jacket sac and gaiters all tick the box) I opt for a bog trot along a reedy wet strip atween crags and trees for my inward route. I`m taken by the wee lochan areas created at this end of the forest. Multiple atv tracks here as I reach the fence again. Instead of going into the enclosure, a swift descent beside the deer fence suffices to reach the padlocked gate. A further paddle thro the mire, deeper now in places, and I cross bridge to the cp.

Seen enroute no one on the hills, little bird life and deer in the trees. No midges.flies or bugs.
Good workout for the ailing joints and an enjoyable day out.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland