walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lovely local hills make for spectacular sunset

Lovely local hills make for spectacular sunset

Postby Jaxter » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:39 am

Route description: Ben Ledi

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi, Benvane

Date walked: 29/10/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 21.21 km

Ascent: 1500m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

“Wanna climb a hill tomorra?” I asked Colin. He reckoned he could be persuaded. Several hours later…. “So what hill are we climbing?” Fortunately Colin was feeling a bit more decisive than I was and came up with a plan that fit the criteria of a good hill without a long drive. Bingo :thumbup:

We arrived at the Ben Ledi car park and managed to find a spot to squeeze into; so many people were parked inconsiderately… :crazy:

It was chilly so we quickly got our kit on (plenty of time for me to stand in a big dog turd hiding underneath some leaves :shock: ) and we were off. It was an easy and familiar walk initially and we gained height quickly, overtaking the masses out on their Sunday stroll :lol:

Looking back, Loch Lubnaig

It was an easy and relatively uninteresting climb although the views were amazing as we climbed higher. It was a stark contrast to the last time I’d been here; on this occasion I had views and no rain 8)

Once on the ridge the full force of the wind hit us and we were forced to walk faster to stay warm! But it was an easy stroll to the summit cairn where the views were tremendous 8)

Ben More and friends

Jaxter pose

The wee cross and out towards the Campsies

It was blowing a hoolie so we frantically added more layers before attempting to find somewhere slightly sheltered for some photos :crazy:

Loch Achray and Ben Venue

Ben More

The Cobbler & Arrochar Alps

Ben More & Stob Binnein

Crianlarich hills

Dumgoyne & the Campsies

Lochs & Campsies

The summit cairn

It wasn’t really hanging about weather so we added extra gloves and headed off along the ridge. We were walking directly into the wind so it was pretty blowy. Fortunately once we started dropping down we were slightly more sheltered.

Looking back up to the summit of Ben Ledi

Towards Benvane

We started following the ridge along, past a wee lochan….

As we traversed the ridge the views remained amazing

We walked over lumps and bumps, and Benvane didn’t really seem to be getting any closer….

Looking back to Ben Ledi

En route…

Beinn Each to Ben Ledi

Beinn Each & Stuc a’Chroin

Taking a breather

Ledi

Glen Finglas

Finally after many kilometres of bog trotting and plenty of banter, we had the final steep climb to the summit – I suggested straight up the front and back down the more roundabout route (trying desperately to make it a circular route :lol: )

Crianlarich hills from the summit

Ben Lomond and the Arrochar Alps

Lawers hills

Colin approaching the summit, cursing my choice of route :lol:

Looking back along the ridge to Ben Ledi

Beinn Each & Stuc a’Chroin

Ben More & Stob Binnein

Arrochar

Lawers

Unspecified bird :lol:

Ben Ledi

Ben Lomond

Ben Venue

Jaxter on Benvane

The cairn making up the 3rd stooge :lol:

We stopped behind a big rock for a sandwich and a break from the wind, before heading the slightly longer but less steep route off the top of Benvane.

Glen Finglass

The long and winding road back

The evening light was starting to do lovely things as we looked back towards Benvane

Me enjoying the view

Colin taking a photie

Bog reflections :lol: 8)

As we approached the cut off Colin reflected on how it was a shame we weren’t an hour later as the sunset would be great from here. “We can always sit tight for an hour?” I suggested…. “Let’s do it” we said, and we hunkered down in a sheltered spot where we could chill (literally) and fiddle around with cameras.

The Cobbler

Ben Lomond

The moon – this would help us find our way down later on :lol:

It was an excellent decision, because although I had to keep adding clothes until I resembled the Mitchelin Man, it was a belter of a sunset….

Ben Ledi

Colin & Jura chilling out

Colin contemplating life

Looks like it’s time to go….

So it was time to get going…we wanted to at least be on the Glen Stank track before it was dark and we were going to have our work cut out….

One of many discussions we had was about whether it gets darker quicker in Winter. The answer was a resounding yes, as 20 minutes after sunset we were almost in the dark already :shock: But what were unsure of was why….neither of us being Scientists we had some interesting theories :lol:

Once off the slippery steep “path” otherwise known as a bog, we were onto the track and it was a case of following our noses. I fortunately remembered it well from the last time I’d been there in April so it was just a case of not faceplanting :lol: I had a headtorch but with the aid of the moon it was easier to keep our night vision. And it’s always interesting avoiding tree roots in the dark… :lol:

Back onto the road we stopped to try out night photography….Colin had more success than I did, but this one still came out better than I’d thought at the time!

Back at the car we were the last people there :lol: But it was still relatively early….really noticing that lost hour though :shock: But it was a lovely day and a great lesson in small, local hills having fabulous views :thumbup: 8)

Ledi & Benvane.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Lovely local hills make for spectacular sunset

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:52 am

Yet again, a fantastic sequence of pics. You're getting seriously good at this. :clap: :clap: :clap:

And what weather you had :shock: .

I passed by these hills on the way back from the WH Great Glen Meet; but in the dark, so didn't see anything...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:46 am

What fantastic photos.

The sunset ones look like they are off a tourist board website or maybe an outdoor gear advert!

I've never walked in this area - being from far south, when I do get a chance to come to Scotland, I always drive past en route to the bigger hills.

These pictures make me realise I must stop and take a look at Ben Ledi & Co sometime!
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby jmarkb » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Some fabulous shots there, well worth getting cold and coming down in the dark for! :clap:

Jaxter wrote:One of many discussions we had was about whether it gets darker quicker in Winter. The answer was a resounding yes, as 20 minutes after sunset we were almost in the dark already But what were unsure of was why….neither of us being Scientists we had some interesting theories

This is more complicated than you might imagine: twilight does indeed last longest in the middle of summer, but the shortest twilight is around the equinox, and it gets a bit longer again in the middle of winter. If you are brave enough (beware graphs and equations!) the full details are here: https://astronomy.stackexchange.com/questions/2408/why-is-twilight-longer-in-summer-than-winter-and-shortest-at-the-equinox
and
http://individual.utoronto.ca/kalendis/twilight/MST.pdf

Jaxter wrote:Unspecified bird

...is a raven, I think.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby jmarkb » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:17 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote: These pictures make me realise I must stop and take a look at Ben Ledi & Co sometime!

An interesting alternative is a round of Vane and Ledi from Brig of Turk.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 am

Alteknacker wrote:Yet again, a fantastic sequence of pics. You're getting seriously good at this. :clap: :clap: :clap:

And what weather you had :shock: .

I passed by these hills on the way back from the WH Great Glen Meet; but in the dark, so didn't see anything...

It was such an amazing evening I didn't need any talent to make it look good! They're a great set of hills though. I'd been up Ledi before but it's nice to have views on this occasion :lol:

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:What fantastic photos.

The sunset ones look like they are off a tourist board website or maybe an outdoor gear advert!

I've never walked in this area - being from far south, when I do get a chance to come to Scotland, I always drive past en route to the bigger hills.

These pictures make me realise I must stop and take a look at Ben Ledi & Co sometime!

Thankyou - I know how you mean. I'd avoided Kintail for a similar reason - it's the bit you go through to get to Skye 8) But all areas are good in their own right :D

jmarkb wrote:Some fabulous shots there, well worth getting cold and coming down in the dark for! :clap:

Jaxter wrote:One of many discussions we had was about whether it gets darker quicker in Winter. The answer was a resounding yes, as 20 minutes after sunset we were almost in the dark already But what were unsure of was why….neither of us being Scientists we had some interesting theories

This is more complicated than you might imagine: twilight does indeed last longest in the middle of summer, but the shortest twilight is around the equinox, and it gets a bit longer again in the middle of winter. If you are brave enough (beware graphs and equations!) the full details are here: <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://astronomy.stackexchange.com/questions/2408/why-is-twilight-longer-in-summer-than-winter-and-shortest-at-the-equinox</span>
and
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://individual.utoronto.ca/kalendis/twilight/MST.pdf</span>

Jaxter wrote:Unspecified bird

...is a raven, I think.

This sounds like a bit of a minefield....maybe one for the morning commute if I dare :shock: Thanks for the info :thumbup:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Andymac75 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:53 pm

Excellent work :clap:

And that is an amazing sunset.its a WOW!
Andymac75

Postby Jaxter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:33 am

Andymac75 wrote:Excellent work :clap:

And that is an amazing sunset.its a WOW!

Thank you - it was pretty special 8) :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby malky_c » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Nice one :) . Ben Ledi ended up being a much nicer hill than I thought it would be. Nice sunset just adds to that 8) .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland