walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fab views in low level walk Glen Fruin

Fab views in low level walk Glen Fruin

Postby desmondo1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Route description: Three Lochs Way: Helensburgh to Garelochhead

Date walked: 18/11/2017

Time taken: 3.21 hours

Distance: 16.11 km

Ascent: 302m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A change of plans gave me the opportunity to continue the Three Lochs Way sooner than expected. I knew that this section would be the most straightforward with more tarmac walking than I would like but the views actually more than made up for it.
Car park start.jpg

Car park start
I followed the Walkhighlands route guide, absolutely straightforward, albeit starting from the waterfront, which added .7 of a mile, following the rising gradient up Sinclair Street, reaching Helensburgh Upper Station, a quick left then right onto Upper Colquhoun Street straight uphill to the car park. Then go left onto a path signed for Rhu Marina and Glen Fruin.
Next a pleasant woodland walk crossing several bouncy railway sleeper footbridges, think some might need replacing soon.
1st junction turn right.jpg

1st Junction
After about 2/3rds of a mile a junction is reached, turn right onto a footpath signed for Garelochhead. The slightly muddy path continues uphill along the edge of the woods.
Track to moorland.jpg

Track to moor
At the top go through the gate and the obvious track crosses moorland. Plenty of fresh cow pats and yes when I broached a top there they were just ahead. One by one their heads lifted to stare at me. No option, no going back, walk on through, make no eye contact, survived another nemesis encounter.
The views of the lower Luss hills are a treat to the eye, then a second gate is reached, the path goes over the Fruin Water to the minor road left through Glen Fruin.
Glen Fruin.jpg

Glen Fruin
This is now road and tarmac for most of the remaining walk, not so good for walking boots but you cannot get lost.
Today, the walk through the glen was an autumn feast of colour, tranquil for a while, just a few cyclists and one car. Then the guns were booming once again, reverberating around the hills and glen, pheasants turn be slaughtered this week.
Glen Fruin 2.jpg

Glen Fruin 2
I am sure that is The Brack in the distance disappearing in a weather front, What is happening, forecast said no rain today!! On with rain trousers just in time. As I walked on the light was constantly changing with the colours on The Strone light and dark this is why we love Scotland.
IMG_6312.JPG

Strone House Peacocks
A loud calling beckoned and then Strone House along with its peacocks came before me. Also big yellow warning signs ‘Army about‘, danger.
The road climbs with super views around and back down the glen and interestingly for me a bit of history that I was unfamiliar with, a learning day. There is a stone monument, information board and a seat on the right to inform us about the dastardly deeds in the Battle of Glen Fruin, where the MacGregors defeated the Colquhouns in 1603.
Glen Fruin memorial.jpg

Battle memorial
Reading the board and looking around the hills; The Strone; Chaorach & Tharsuinn, most in the sun brought it all to life.
Don’t take the MOD road beside the monument instead twist and turn uphill, the road soon levels out.
Yankee Road.jpg

Yankee Road
Now go right onto a tarred lane known as the Yankee Road ( American Rd on the signs, political correctness) - built by the American army in World War II. Immediately it forks; keep on the main tarred left branch, soon reaching the main A817 road.
Good views northwards and now below to your left Faslane can be seen but no subs around.
I walked along the military road until the signpost for the route that takes me down to Garelochhead, this is on your left.
Small fence to climb.jpg

There is a barbed wire fence here!!
Crossing the barbed wire fence was a bit of an effort. The wooded covered area swings alarmingly and not safe without someone to hold it, so I needed to use the wooden slat which was very slippy, fun!!.
Downhill mud slide.JPG

Boggy track to Garelochead
Now this downhill section was without a doubt the muddiest, boggiest section of the walk, all the way down to the road. Just follow the gloopy path along the edge of the plantation, down a wall, avoiding your feet disappearing in the mud, through some woods then the road is reached.
I crossed the road and followed the path into town and thankfully had only a 20 minute wait until a bus back to Helensburgh.
A good day. Mainly bright, blue skies, high wind chill and the odd shower. Hopefully complete the Way before the yearend.

Time: 3 hours 21m
Distance: 10.01mls (16.11km)
Ascent: 992ft (302m)
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland