walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CCP - bridge at north end of Loch Ordie

CCP - bridge at north end of Loch Ordie

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Date walked: 18/11/2017

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 18.7 km

Ascent: 290m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having worked an evening shift on Friday night I was home for 9 am and went to bed at 10am with the intention of sleeping through till around 4pm but I woke up at 1pm, looked out the widow to see a great day, and was up changed and away by 2pm - never the plan but too good a day to miss out.

Started walking at about 3:15pm, no real intention to be fast but I was at Mill Dam in 33:02 and Raor Lodge in 54:40, both times are pretty quick for me.

I was still on a fast time at the far end of Loch Ordie in 1:28. I stopped for some chocolate, put some gloves on, head torch on and finally music on. In the late dusk I switched on the head torch and it immediately flashed 3 times to warn me that the battery was slow and 5 minutes later it was dead - a bit disappointing as the battery was on charge for a few hours earlier in the day.

It was a clear starlit night and the walking was great whilst out in the open but once the track headed in to tree cover things got a bit more difficult. I've walked this track twice a week for 7 years so I know it off by heart and found myself switching from side to side to miss potholes I couldn't see but knew were there.

Just one problem on the way back when I had to really slow down in a tree covered area, I knew the track took a right turn but with absolutely no visibility I left it slightly late in turning and caught the barb wire fence running right beside the track - this left a tiny hole in my top but no cuts.

Just one further issue, the cattle grid in a really dark area but I used the light from my Garmin to get me over and it was a straight forward walk from there back to the car.

Bearing in mind the slower darker sections I was surprised to see that I average 4mph and was only 4 mins off my PB for this distance. From now on the spare head torch goes in the rucksack.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland