walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn na Coinnich from Strathconon - short afternoon out

Carn na Coinnich from Strathconon - short afternoon out

Postby malky_c » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn na Coinnich

Date walked: 19/11/2017

Time taken: 3.8 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 645m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Carn na Coinnich.
Date: 19/11/2017.
Distance: 13 km.
Ascent: 645m.
Time: 3 hours, 50 minutes.
Weather: Cold, overcast, calm.

A fairly short walk for the day. Could've got up earlier, but that's what last week was for...

I was driving towards Strathconon in autumn colour and sunshine, but by the time I was ready to start walking just before midday, the cloud had moved in. It was rather chilly, but also quite still, so I left the trousers in the bag. I didn't have an overly imaginative route planned for the day - just the most obvious way up Carn na Coinnich (which I had used before, diverting off that time to go up some other bumps).

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I headed up the track from Bridgend, cutting off the corner to meet the path following the Allt Bail an Uillt Shios. A few deer around, including a couple of stags scrapping.

Shortly before they started locking antlers

I passed a guy coming down before reaching the high point of the path, where you need to cut across a few snow-filled peat hags to reach the summit ridge.

Near the top of the pass

The trig point is very prominent, sitting on a plinth of rock. Despite cloud moving in over the hills to the north, there were some interesting high cloud effects above. A very monochrome feel.

Approaching the summit

Carn na Coinnich

Loch an Spardain and the Strathfarrar hills

Orrin Reservoir

Beauly Firth and Kessock Bridge

Summit photo

Sgurr a' Choire Ghlais

I thought about heading towards Meall an Doire Fearna, but the walk over was across further hags, so I decided to drop into Allt Baile na Creige a bit early. The path down here is barely visible higher up, aside from the occasional stones for cross-drains that could be spotted.

Meallan nan Uan and Sgurr a' Mhuilinn

Lower down, the path became more obvious, and there were some good waterfalls to look at.

Meall na Faochaig and Creag Ruadh

Looking west up Strathconon

Waterfall on Allt Baile na Creige

Waterfall on Allt Baile na Creige

Then I was down on a good track on the floor of the glen which led me back to Bridgend. A nice day out, although I always seem to end up in Strathconon when the sun isn't out - it probably deserves better.

Approaching Bridgend
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Carn na Coinnich from Strathconon - short afternoon out

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:49 pm

What's this with driving...??? And shorts????? :D

As you say, very strange lighting...

Sgurr a'Choire Ghlais and friends look absolutely superb - I do envy you your proximity to these wonderful places :sick: .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:06 am

That trig point does look very splendid 8)

Shorts?! :shock: :shock: You're either crazy or brave (or a healthy mix of both :lol: )
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks for reminding us, that we haven't visited this one in winter conditions so far - a nice "quickie in the neighbourhood" for Christmas time :D

BTW you were MAD wearing shorts on Sunday :wink: We were freezing our *** off on Carn Mor in triple windproof layers and ski gloves...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland