walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Biod Ban

Biod Ban

Postby litljortindan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Date walked: 19/11/2017

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 200m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Although it doesn't look much on the map this turned out to be a very pleasant morning's walk. A little bit muddy on the way there but switching to the neighbouring lazy beds gave respite, albeit with occasional jumping required.
After 1km there is an obvious way up past the water board facility and soon after passing the latter the cliff top is reached. Good views from there south to Waterstein Head and north along the rest of the way.
Adhering to the cliff edge, where this was sensible, was highly entertaining. For obvious reasons though, this demanded a fair bit of care and concentration but mostly the way along was fairly level on short grass with occasional dips opening up views down to the bouldery Oisgill Bay below.
I'd originally planned to nip up and down quickly, leaving time for another wee hill but I was enjoying the views and pleasant walking so much I forgot all about rushing and took everything at a leisurely pace.

ImageDSC03854 by John Little, on Flickr
Sunrise colours above Pinnacle Ridge.

ImageDSC03858 by John Little, on Flickr
Locals not in a hurry to get out of the way.

ImageDSC03879 by John Little, on Flickr
Sheep on the shore.

ImageDSC03883 by John Little, on Flickr
First view along to the end of the cliffs.

ImageDSC03941 by John Little, on Flickr
Looking down at the boulder beach of Oisgill Bay from half way along.

ImageDSC03943 by John Little, on Flickr
North end of the cliffs.

ImageDSC03962 by John Little, on Flickr
Zoom east to one of the waterfalls south of Biod an Athair.

ImageDSC03966 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC03972 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC03979 by John Little, on Flickr
Neist Point.

ImageDSC03980 by John Little, on Flickr
Hint of the weather changing over the western isles.

ImageDSC03984 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04016 by John Little, on Flickr
A conglomeration of cliffs.

ImageDSC04039 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04091 by John Little, on Flickr
Impressive gully.

ImageDSC04112 by John Little, on Flickr
Waterfall again.

ImageDSC04116 by John Little, on Flickr
Biod an Athair, my recovery hill of last September and, so, a special place for me.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Biod Ban

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:40 am

Sensational pics! I perceive that I'm too Cuillin obsessed....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Biod Ban

Postby litljortindan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Sensational pics! I perceive that I'm too Cuillin obsessed....

Thanks. I was up that Pinnacle Ridge when I was twenty five years old and it was great but I get as much pleasure now from the sea cliffs. Two years ago on Ramasaig cliffs at sunset was just amazing and will stay with me for the rest of my days, I have no doubt. Like Biod Ban, not a long walk and not much ascent but steep cliffs with grand views of the Outer Hebrides.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland