walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Blair with wee bit snow

Mount Blair with wee bit snow

Postby ColinBrough » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Route description: Mount Blair

Fionas included on this walk: Mount Blair

Date walked: 23/11/2017

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4.5 km

Ascent: 388m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Caught a wonderful, brief gap in the weather, and was looking for a walk I could do in a morning from Dundee.... Sat Nav took me up the back road via Kilry, rather than up Glen Isla - little more snowy/icy than I'd expected! Made it to the starting point without incident. Snow on the ground, with the longer tufts of grass showing through. Sunshine evident on the hills around - but since most of the walk is on the north side of Mount Blair, was in the shadow till a good way up. Hoping to get into the sunshine was a good spur on as I plodded up with hill.

2017_11_23_MtBlair02.jpg
Looking back towards the road and car (at the edge of the trees)

The path up was reasonably easy to find - though I did lose it for a few hundred yards just below the fence/gate, but it was easy enough to follow the fence to the gate to regain my bearings. Above the gate the path was plain - no human footsteps ahead of me in the snow, but plenty of mountain hare tracks. Sadly didn't see any hares.

2017_11_23_MtBlair05.jpg
Transmitter mast coming into view, and into the sunshine!

Getting into the sunshine 2/3 of the way up was a joy, and had a great if fairly short pause at the summit - the sunshine was almost warm! Very little wind, so a thoroughly pleasant day with absolutely stunning views...

2017_11_23_MtBlair08.jpg
Looking north up Glen Shee

2017_11_23_MtBlair14.jpg
New viewpoint with snow on it... looking towards Glen Shee

2017_11_23_MtBlair24.jpg
Looking south towards Dundee/Perth

2017_11_23_MtBlair29.jpg
Summit cairn in the snow

2017_11_23_MtBlair33b.jpg
Even the transmitter mast looks OK in the snow!

Descent was straightforward - a little muddy/slippy under the snow, so had to watch my footing on the way down. And didn't see anyone till I was back at the car and saw someone else clearly about to set out - not sure whether they were doing the same route, or tackling something else. Fab morning....
ColinBrough
Mountaineer

Munros:41   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:4

Re: Mount Blair with wee bit snow

Postby anne mariecb » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:59 pm

Hey

That was probably me that you saw heading to do exactly what you had just completed, i did not see you though.

When i was heading up i thought how great it was that someone must have already been up it in the morning as i got to follow your footsteps, (great no navigation needed lol). So thanks for that made it a nice simple route up and i could see the more slippery bits coming back down then also.

I luckily got quite a bit of the sun, it must have made an appearance as you were finishing.

Great hill for in the snow, the views were fab. :D
anne mariecb
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:43
Fionas:40   Donalds:57
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:94   

Postby ColinBrough » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:22 am

Glad to be of help!! You were by your car (taking selfies?) before setting off, it looked like - I was just driving away...
ColinBrough
Mountaineer

Munros:41   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:4

Postby anne mariecb » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:00 pm

I do remember now a car going by as i was taking photos and getting sorted out to leave.
Yeh me taking selfies lol, terrible for it.
I take videos as well before i set off and during the walk as it makes for good memories.
You can never have too many photos or videos :lol:
anne mariecb
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:43
Fionas:40   Donalds:57
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:94   

Postby grumpy old bagger » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:15 pm

Beautiful photos!
What a lovely country we live in. You had a cracking day for it!
grumpy old bagger
Hill Bagger

Munros:21   Corbetts:9
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:8   
Wainwrights:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland