walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Windlestraw Law SW Top

Windlestraw Law SW Top

Postby McMole » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Date walked: 26/11/2017

Time taken: 2.3 hours

Distance: 7.8 km

Ascent: 490m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I left home with the intention of bagging a stray Donald Top in the Moffat Hills, but when I arrived in Innerleithen the B709 was closed for repair/resurfacing or whatever for another week. That section of road does need improvement, so I didn't begrudge having to change my plan. I switched to a pre-prepared plan B, and headed north instead of south on the B709. About 2 miles north of Innerleithen there was enough hard standing beside a passing place for me to park off the road.
Windlestraw Law top route.gif
This is just before the 1:25,000 map shows a track heading NE up towards the SW top of Windlestraw Law. This was a top I'd missed when I'd been up the main summit a couple of years ago and my plan B objective.
P1020218 s.JPG
Looking back at my car.
P1020206 s.JPG
At about 370m heading up the track beside the forestry.
It was an uncomplicated walk meeting the first sparse snow cover at about 300m. The track continued on through a gate to continue all the way to the snow-covered summit. There wasn't much depth to the snow and the fences a good growth of frost on them.
P1020211.JPG
Windlestraw Law SW top summit cairn (summit is a tussock 75 m to the SW)
P1020214 s.JPG
Retracing my steps
There were sunny patches and good visibility, but the chill wind didn't encourage stopping, so I was half-way down before I stopped by a shed on legs beside the forest for a snack.
P1020207 s.JPG
The shed on legs!
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland