walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich Helens First Munro

Ben Vorlich Helens First Munro

Postby gedme » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 25/04/2009

Time taken: 6 hours

Ascent: 985m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was Helen (my wife) first and will probably be her last Helen is a lover of all things horizontal she says she could sleep for Scotland and one thing i thought i would never see was her up top of a Munro. We set of with the intention of just doing a low level walk but then i mentioned we can go up by loch earn and walk along there but when we got there i mentioned Vorlich and showed her from the road side she said i will give it a go to my surprise. We set out and i told her that at any time she wanted to turn back then was not a problem so off we went.
At the start.jpg
Ben Vorlich

Although Helen struggled i encouraged her all the way i told her not to worry as we had all day and i wanted her to take in all the views and tell her that this is why i love the mountains we were lucky as there were not many on the hill that day.
IMG_0787.JPG

Helen was in bit of pain her legs were sore and her back was bit sore to she started to talk about stopping and going back I told her that it is not a problem but told her we were at the last bit and although it looked steep another 30 mins or so and we would be at the summit i sat her down pored a cup of tea and we sat and just looked at the view it was a sunny day and it looked fantastic.
IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG
Helen

IMG_0802.JPG
Helen

IMG_0791.JPG

Helen then said that yeah lets do it now just to let you know when I never thought i would see her on top of a Munro so it was great when she decided to go for it and with in forty minutes we were there and the views were stunning looking over to stuc a' chroin and just all around. Although Helen said that would probably be her one and only Munro she said it was beautiful and she can see the appeal it has and why i love it so much i was so proud of her although it may not be the biggest out there i told her that she should be proud of her self to we sat for a while and had lunch in silence it was perfect. This is my first go at doing this i hope it is ok and you enjoy reading it i will hopefully get better as i go on and read some more of other peoples walks. Thanks for reading
helen on way.jpg

IMG_0796.JPG
Vorlich

IMG_0805.JPG
Stuc a' Chroin

helens first.jpg
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gedme
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   Corbetts:3

Re: Ben Vorlich Helens First Munro

Postby Jockstar » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:29 pm

Well done Helen ! :D Now you know what its like once you get to the top and why we are all a bit crazy.....swept away by the beauty of Scotland !! :)
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby monty » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:42 pm

Well done Helen and Jockstar. That was a good effort. Now you need to tackle Ben Lomond as your next one :D Get some lowland walking in. You will be surprised how quickly you will improve your fitness and then leave the old man behind :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby gedme » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:16 pm

Thanks guys will let Helen see that it is good she got to the top as we both now see the beauty of Scotland and been to lakes as well which will put on here but very nice to read that feedback. :lol:
gedme
Munro compleatist

Postby 2dalmatians » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:09 pm

Gedme - topclass report, I was up Ben Vorlich a couple of weeks ago and it's not easy! A big well done to your missus for taking this on. Like yours my wife is not into walking but for sure I will show her your report as an incentive.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby gedme » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:12 pm

Hope your all having grae sunday in the hills.
Last edited by gedme on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gedme
Munro compleatist

Postby gedme » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:13 pm

2dalmatians wrote:Gedme - topclass report, I was up Ben Vorlich a couple of weeks ago and it's not easy! A big well done to your missus for taking this on. Like yours my wife is not into walking but for sure I will show her your report as an incentive.

Hi thanks for saying was good report and hope it helps you get your wife out as Scotland is beautiful place. I am at work at moment so will read about your trip when next home and online. I have since been back and did Vorlich and chroin together been really lucky as was sunny that day to. Thanks again.
ged
gedme
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland