walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter Strikes the Cobbler

Winter Strikes the Cobbler

Postby Photogra Scotica » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:10 am

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 29/11/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1000m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

ImageBen Lomond at Sunrise by Gregor Sinclair, on Flickr

Having booked time off months in advance, I must confess I did not anticipate conditions quite this good for a November getaway. Heavy snowfall across the country was followed in the Highlands with a few days of relatively consistent sunshine, so in real terms the situation could hardly be more ideal for some winter walking. As my first real winter hike in the Highlands I thought I'd start off easy with a (slightly impulsive) trip up the Cobbler.

ImageThe Cobbler by Gregor Sinclair, on Flickr

Having left Edinburgh around 5am, I was heading up the winding forrest track by 6.30. The route is well-paved all the way up and has consistently fantastic views back across the valley and over to Ben Lomond, whose west face you can hardly miss backlit by the morning sun. By the time sunlight broke over the hills I was fast approaching the Cobbler itself, thus naturally the horns lit up in red made quite the first impression.

ImageThe Arrochar Alps by Gregor Sinclair, on Flickr

The path steepens to the left climbing the face of the Cobbler directly (the path I would later take down), or walking a little further allows for a climb up the northern side, the gradient of which is fairly similar. Approaching from this angle, however, yields a fantastic payoff when the bealach between the two peaks is reached and one can see back over their ascent path (with Lomond still in the distance).

ImageBen Lomond and the Cobbler by Gregor Sinclair, on Flickr

From here it is a quick and easy walk up to either peak, both of which offer top-quality views. In particular the southern peak and surrounding mountains seem almost alpine in their sublimity when viewed from the north. Both, however, were beset with exceedingly strong winds - strong enough to take my lens cap out from between my fingers and throw it down a gully. Crampons were required for a brief detour to retrieve said lens cap, but otherwise the route, though occasionally icy, was extremely accessible and even somewhat disproportionately rewarding!

ImageThe Cobbler by Gregor Sinclair, on Flickr
Last edited by Photogra Scotica on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photogra Scotica
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Winter Strikes the Cobbler

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:04 pm

Nice set of photos - cheers :)

PS maybe not 4 October ? :wink:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Winter Strikes the Cobbler

Postby Photogra Scotica » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:33 pm

rockhopper wrote:Nice set of photos - cheers :)

PS maybe not 4 October ? :wink:

Whoops, not sure how I managed that!
Photogra Scotica
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:4   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland