walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seana Braigh from Corriemulzie

Seana Braigh from Corriemulzie

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 29/07/1999

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 20.2 km

Ascent: 982m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It is sad I think, that the standard route to Seanna Braigh is from Inverlael: I've not done it, but it looks like a rather dull bog trot and you certainly don't experience the full splendour of this magnificent hill :( Fortunately in 1999 not only could you drive to Corriemulzie Lodge, but there were notices showing hillwalkers where to park, and you seemed quite welcome :) Incidentally you could also drive about 3km up the Inverlael track to "the large turning circle" which cut quite a time from the circuit of the four Ben Dearg munros :) I'm afraid that the ever increasing numbers of hillwalkers have rendered these helpful tracks out of bounds for motors
We set out along the excellent track on a fine summer morning
SB01.jpg
First view of Seanna Braigh
SB02.jpg
The magnificent North East ridgeof Creag an Duine: needless to say you approach it from the R :lol:
In his book "100 best routes on Scottish hills" which I used extensively before the SMC Munro book appeared - and thoroughly recommend - Ralph Storer rather surprisingly suggests you climb Seanna Braigh by the more Northerly slopes and descend this ridge. I guess it is the quickest way to the top if time is short. We decided to do the reverse, and go clockwise round the circuit. The ridge is uncompromisingly steep, but all the rocky bits can be bypassed on grass and the views down to the tiny lochan in the Luchd Coire on the R are stunning.
As we gained height all the Assynt hills appeared to the North
SB03.jpg
Ben More Coigach, Stac Polly, Cul Beag, Cul Mor , Suilven and Canisp and maybe Ben More assynt
SB03a.jpg
Zoomed view - that's certainly Stac Polly on the L and Suilven on the R
SB05.jpg
Looking across the Luchd Coire to the summit from quite high up
SB04.jpg
A wider view across to Seanna Braigh
SB06.jpg
Looking back across the Luchd Coire to Creag an Duine from near the top
SB07.jpg
The tiny unnamed lochan on the way down
SB08.jpg
A final look back at the ridge
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Seana Braigh from Corriemulzie

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:00 pm

That did look good. Having gone from Inverlael I'd agree that your route does look a nice way to approach this hill. Adding on the other hills around here makes it even better - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:10 pm

More great photos there :) . I'm sure the route from Inverlael is pleasant enough, but this way is much better :D . I took this route (well actually the eastern ridge of An Sgurr, which is pretty similar) when doing Seana Bhraigh as my last Munro, with a bothy night either side at Coiremor. A great weekend, and I'd go back for this approach again before trying the one from Inverlael I think.

I was still using film then as well (stubbornly trying to avoid buying a digital camera), but my photos didn't come out as clearly as these!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:08 pm

malky_c wrote:More great photos there :) . I'm sure the route from Inverlael is pleasant enough, but this way is much better :D . I took this route (well actually the eastern ridge of An Sgurr, which is pretty similar) when doing Seana Bhraigh as my last Munro, with a bothy night either side at Coiremor. A great weekend, and I'd go back for this approach again before trying the one from Inverlael I think.

I was still using film then as well (stubbornly trying to avoid buying a digital camera), but my photos didn't come out as clearly as these!

I note from WH that the road to Corriemulzie is still open outside the stalking season, so surely it is a better route , also much shorter . I just made a guess at our time, but it certainly wasn't an arduous day. I guess you have to take into account the fact that the the drive from Ullapool (say) is longer
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby gaffr » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:34 am

Had reached Seana Braigh once before coming in from Inverlael. Second visit was by the An Duine ridge via the Rhiddorroch river and descending, as you did, by the broad ridge on the other side of the Northern corrie. The off road bike was useful for a fair part of the way. A fine way to get to SB
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland