walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scaw'd Fell, a "Super" moon, but no mad axe murderer

Scaw'd Fell, a "Super" moon, but no mad axe murderer

Postby PeteR » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:37 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Scaw'd Fell

Date walked: 03/12/2017

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Something a little different with this walk. My current personal battle with sloth meant it was going to be a late start for me. As a result I chose to tackle a sub 2000 with good track access that would make a descent and return to the car in the dark easily possible. Scaw'd Fell, just outside Mofffat on the road to Selkirk presented itself as an ideal candidate :D

The GPS route planner suggested a little over 9 miles and a little over 4 hours. As it turned out, with a slight route hiccup on the way back to the car added in for fun, it was just over 10 miles, but about right with the few minutes over the four hours.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'd seen that others park up on the grass verge close to the bridge on the minor road where the route starts.

ImageP1400931 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
I'd noticed this alternative on the mainroad.......added all of say 5 minutes to the day/night

It was just after 2.00 p.m. when I set off, so I knew it would be a return in the dark. I was aware though that we were in for a "super" moon, so was hopeful I might get a good sighting on my way back in the dark.

ImageP1400933 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Heading down the minor road to the track where I'd join the Southern Upland Way

ImageP1400934 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
At the start of the track........nice easy going to start

ImageP1400936 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Heading along for a while.......

ImageP1400937 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
......until a sharp right toward some hills

ImageP1400938 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
A few gates and cattle grids en route. Not sure this instruction has been adhered to for a while :lol:

ImageP1400943 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Passed a quarry, where I then arrived at a junction and took the right fork. At the next fork took a sharp left (this is it) heading slightly back on myself

ImageP1400946 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Almost immediately took a right up this grassy track. A bit boggy up the top.........

ImageP1400949 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
.......where I arrived at this gate. Jumped over it and then the tufty slog began........

ImageP1400951 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
.....up this, on to Yadburgh Hill

Steeply down this minor top, where the worst slog of the day presented itself to me.

ImageP1400955 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Logan Gail :shock:

Before then though there were some nice shots of a setting sun to enjoy.

ImageP1400956 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1400957 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1400959 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1400961 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Let the slog begin........it took a few minutes :lol:

ImageP1400967 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1400969 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Sky changing colour

ImageP1400970 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Slog over :D

ImageP1400972 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
More than worth it though

ImageP1400974 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Then an easy trot along to the summit of Scaw'd Fell as the light started to fail

ImageP1400979 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Nice views as the last of the sun set

ImageP1400983 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Summit post

ImageP1400985 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Nice view close to the summit

By now the light was fading fast, as I headed down via Coomb Cairn and back on to the Southern Upland Way.

ImageP1400992 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Believe it or not...........I had located the track I needed to get me on the way back to civilisation :lol:

ImageP1400993 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
And into the woods.........at this time MrsR may have received a text from me about mad axe murderers :lol: There was lots of creaking. squeaking and groaning of the trees in the wind. Along with a bit of wildlife thrown in too. Not to everyone's taste I'm sure

ImageP1400995 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Now with head torch on

ImageP1400998 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1410005 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Cue wrong turn at this point. Soon realised my mistake and corrected myself

Time for some super moon shots

ImageP1410009 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1410023 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1410024 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1410029 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

Almost back at the end of the track there is a junction heading off to Craigbeck Cottage. There's a cattle grid with what I assume is a cattle shed. On the way up in the day light there was no cattle. Not so on the way back in the dark, with just my puny head torch for light. Crossing the cattle grid I startled something, which turn startled me.......I believe it was a bull.......just a few yards from me (either that or a very big cow :lol:) Too dark for a photo and I wasn't hanging about. Hasty retreat was beat :lol:

ImageP1410031 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

Really enjoyed my day/night walk and will certainly be looking to do something similar again when I can. Scaw'd Fell itself is a good little hill too, much more enjoyable than I had expected it to be.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Scaw'd Fell, a "Super" moon, but no mad axe murderer

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:57 pm

Thanks for the informative route info Pete, am looking at saying hello to this one on one of my return home journey's.
Not sure I fancy walking through a forest in the dark, I will be aiming to do this long before darkness falls.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Scaw'd Fell, a "Super" moon, but no mad axe murderer

Postby PeteR » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:56 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Thanks for the informative route info Pete, am looking at saying hello to this one on one of my return home journey's.
Not sure I fancy walking through a forest in the dark, I will be aiming to do this long before darkness falls.

No worries Martin. It's an easy one and definitely good for those trips up and down the country. I have a few of those left myself.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland