walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I nearly went out with a bang

I nearly went out with a bang

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Garbh Bheinn (Ardgour)

Date walked: 04/11/1969

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 7.3 km

Ascent: 962m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had long admired the view of Garbh Bheinn from Ballachulish, and in November 1968 between two jobs I decided to have short holiday in the Highlands . I also wanted to visit and explore the old mine at Strontian - from which the element Strontium derives its name, so I crossed the Corran ferry and booked into the Strontian hotel for a few nights.
The weather was good and I took quite a lot of photos of the quite amazing autumn colours
AD01.jpg

AD02.jpg

AD03.jpg

AD04.jpg

AD05.jpg

AD06.jpg

AD07.jpg

AD08.jpg
Loch Sunart

I checked with the hotel about stalking - it was advisable in those days - and was told I could do Garbh Bheinn on the day I had chosen, so I parked on the road which ran right beside the river Tarbert at that time, and set off up the South East ridge. The photos are in the order I took them.
AD09.jpg

AD10.jpg

AD11.jpg
From the 823m sub summit: I think this was the first time I had ever seen a cloud inversion
AD12.jpg

AD13.jpg
Looking on up to the summit
AD14.jpg
Looking East from the summit
AD15.jpg
Maybe looking down West but i can't find this tiny lochan on the map
AD16.jpg
Looking back on the way down

I followed the same route down, except that near the foot of the ridge i took a more northerly line to the valley floor. As I was walking across the almost flat bog to the car, I noticed something sticking out of the ground. I looked more carefully and realised it was a stick of gelignite :shock: and it had a wire sticking out of it which led to another and another and another and another similar stick :shock:
I was standing in the middle of a field of high explosive :shock: :shock: :shock:
WOW! Usain Bolt had nothing on the speed that I got out of there :lol:
I made it back to the car panting but unharmed.

I don't imagine contractors today would even be permitted to use explosives, but if they were, there would surely be an exclusion zone of at least 1Km marked by huge amounts of tape etc. In those days however 'Elf and Safety wasn't what it is today :lol:
One would like to think that before they blew it all up, the contractors would make at least a cursory glance around to check that the area was clear, but I guess that if some unfortunate hill walker was blown to smithereens and ended up in the foundations of a new highland road well maybe that's the way he would have wanted to go :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still regard it as perhaps my most perilous moment in the hills
PS while writing this report It suddenly strikes me - did I walk through a similar field on the ascent and simply not notice it?
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Re: I nearly went out with a bang

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Heck, pretty disturbing! Sounds like you were pretty lucky to live to tell the tale. But what on earth were they doing with explosives in that location...???

BTW, are you sure all that orange-brown colouring of the vegetation had nothing to do with presence of Strontium...??? :)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:54 pm

I think I can safely say that this report accounts for two firsts in my many years on this forum - the first time I have seen a report featuring sticks of TNT and the first dating from a time before when I was born! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:09 pm

Blimey, wasn't expecting that as an ending!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:47 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Heck, pretty disturbing! Sounds like you were pretty lucky to live to tell the tale. But what on earth were they doing with explosives in that location...???

BTW, are you sure all that orange-brown colouring of the vegetation had nothing to do with presence of Strontium...??? :)

They were building a new road: - if you look carefully at the map you'll see that the old road where I started is now a track - i guess it was in danger of being undermined by the river.
I'm afraid it's not a great report, but I thought I would post it as it is probably a unique experience on WH :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby gaffr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 am

Have always enjoyed my visits to Garbh Bheinn a hill that has a good variety of ways to reach the summit. :)
Fine images of the The Great Ridge and the Wall to the left that has a some very fine classic routes. Coming in from your direction to reach GB these views of the crags are seen to great effect something that is completely missed when reaching the the hill from Iubhair valley....well until much later. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Cuilvista » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:30 pm

really enjoyed that, there is something reassuring seeing the hills in much the same state that that they are now, probably one of the few consistents in modern life (apart from those developed for renewable energy). thanks
Cuilvista
Stravaiging

Munros:268   Corbetts:212
Fionas:175   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:81   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:6   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:20 am

Absolutely love these gorgeous photos enhanced by the day's glowing autumn colours.

Updated hill risk checklist
- getting lost
- falling off
- bad weather
- avalanche
- explosives
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Sgurr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:36 am

You can still find ordnance on Sgribhisbeinn near Cape Wrath. It lies around after any major exercise (i.e. twice a year) I don't know if it is unexploded, but they do warn you not to touch it

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby malky_c » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 pm

I really liked those photos - lovely colours in them, and nothing obvious to date them either - the joys of Ardgour 8) . Lucky escape. I didn't realise the new road down there was as old as that.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:13 pm

gaffr wrote:Have always enjoyed my visits to Garbh Bheinn a hill that has a good variety of ways to reach the summit. :)
Fine images of the The Great Ridge and the Wall to the left that has a some very fine classic routes. Coming in from your direction to reach GB these views of the crags are seen to great effect something that is completely missed when reaching the the hill from Iubhair valley....well until much later. :)

Hi Gaffr
I'm told the Ardgour corbetts are pretty good in general and apart from this one i've got them all to do. Looking forward to it
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby gaffr » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:18 am

It always felt like going to an island when using the ferry to reach Ardgour, Morven and Moidart. Hills previously viewed from the higher hills in Glencoe and Lochaber fairly distant but very tempting. Apart from the fine Garbh Bheinn we didn't visit the other twenty or so hills until we were in our sixties including some outlying ones from the road to Maillaig, Several very enjoyable journeys on these interesting Wee Ronnies. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland