walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Solitude close to home

Solitude close to home

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Gainimh

Date walked: 12/11/2017

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A few hours free on a sunny Sunday, so I headed up to Glen Almond with the bike in the boot. I had thought about heading up Ben Chonzie as the first sprinkling of snow had hit the summits, however the days are short and I reckoned night cycling would have occurred on the way back!! The skies were blue , however the winds were to be high and as I pulled up at Newton Bridge the bending trees certainly suggested the forecast to be right. The direction was northerly so I thought I may have been sheltered in the Glen – wrong! The wind howled through the glen and I was blown over a few times!! It was a biting wind and I soon had an idea of where to go. From no go Chonzie, I then set my sights on Auchnafree Hill. However there was no shelter on its northern slopes and the sun was nowhere to be seen on them either. A hill to the north of the glen was going to be my best bet.

A quick look at the map and I found a wee track heading to the north. Pushing my bike up the steep track, I was soon enjoying myself. The southern slopes were relatively sheltered and the sun was shining down 

I soon left the bike and headed up heathery , pathless slopes, trying to keep to the southern slopes as much as possible. The views soon opened up and a fantastic view to upper Glenalmond was enjoyed. Up I went and as soon as I reached the shoulder , the wind returned!! A few cairns and standing stones were passed as I set my sights on Beinn na Gainimh. The ground was frozen which made the going easier and if it wasn’t for the wind this would have been an enjoyable stroll! Soon the smallest summit cairn in Perthshie was reached and I about turned and raced the locals back to the bike (white hares are super fast!!) lol..
Glad to be back at the bike, I was looking forward to my cycle back – downhill then win assisted back to Newton Bridge. The latter was fine but I soon discovered my bike needed new brake pads!! The gradient on the descent was too steep and the brakes were pretty useless. Luckily I was taking my time and I hadn’t gathered too much speed before realising I wasn’t stopping very efficiently!! Pushing the bike downhill wasn’t in the plans !! However the cycle along the glen was wind assisted and great fun 

A grand afternoon and when I got home I realised that I had managed to tick off a Graham (never realised this was one!). Pretty sure that if you like solitude then you don’t have to travel too far from the central belt – this hill will almost certainly be deserted (well apart from the wildlife )
wilkiemurray

Re: Solitude close to home

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:24 pm

Can remember thinking this hill looked interesting when heading up Anchnafree hill from the north. Good for a bike' n hike too - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Solitude close to home

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:22 am

rockhopper wrote:Can remember thinking this hill looked interesting when heading up Anchnafree hill from the north. Good for a bike' n hike too - cheers :)

nice wee walk - best part I think was reaching the crest of the shoulder - views up Glenalmond were great:)
- note to self - get brakes sorted !! ended up pushing the bike most of the way down !! lol

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland