walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

1 Marilyn, 2 Tumps & a Donald Dewey - Earl's Seat & Tops

1 Marilyn, 2 Tumps & a Donald Dewey - Earl's Seat & Tops

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Route description: Dumgoyne and Earl's Seat, near Killearn

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Earl's Seat

Date walked: 01/12/2017

Time taken: 4.39 hours

Distance: 11.3 km

Ascent: 800m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Earls-Seat--3-Tumps.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another long weekend using up holidays and with good visibility promised there was only one thing for it, finish what was started in September last year when we went to climb Earl's Seat but only managed Dumgoyne due to the weather. At least we met a hillwalking cat which still made the short hike worthwhile! :lol:

As I had to drop Y off in the morning I planned to stop off at the Roll Shop and again couldn't get parked anywhere so went to the good backup plan from Beinn Eich and stopped off in the west end for a roll, square sausage and tattie scone, ensuring a warm and hearty breakfast ahead of what would be a chilly hike.

Fuelled up it was a quick half hour drive north to park in the big lay-by next to Dumgoyne Distillery, luckily with it being Friday and most people still working there were only a few cars in it. Good luck getting a space here at the weekend!

A group of 4 retirees with a collie were just setting off and i'd encounter them again several times. My bag was pretty much packed the night before and also now a handy DSLR hiking bag due to using a padded insert in it, sideways, so that I can easily access it through the side zip of the main compartment, a DIY option that worked an absolute treat I have to sayespecially when combined with lens pouches and a few dry bags in the event of rain.

Conditions were dry and clear, some clouds in the sky and it was actually very warm, like a spring morning. Not long into the walk the sky would be covered and the sun blocked but at least the rain would stay off as per the forecast.

I knew it would be icy and frozen during the walk but still stuck my gaiters on, handy when encountering snow drifts plus the frozen bogs can always unfreeze during the day!

To the north the tops of the bigger Loch Lomond hills were very snow covered and the view of them would only get better as the walk went on, another reason I chose this hill for today, less time faffing about climbing a snowy Munro and more time strolling around a brilliant viewpoint taking photos of the mountains, landscape and civilisation all around me.

Setting off, excitement building...
ImageDSC_7529 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I follow the road/track up the hill and throught the trees:
ImageDSC_7532 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Clever girl... :lol:
ImageDSC_7537 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

After a few twists and turns you pass Blairgar:
ImageDSC_7542 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Dumgoyne up ahead, cross the field and head towards it:
ImageDSC_7546 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

As you cross the field Auchineden Hill of Whangie fame looks good behind to the west:
ImageDSC_7557 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I spot the group of retirees who are already near the top of the steep path bypassing Dumgoyne and heading towards Earl's Seat:
ImageDSC_7566 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I climb the fence, hop over burn and Dumgoyne confronts me, except instead of a direct ascent like last time I opt to go for the Earl first then cliimb Dunfoyn and Dumgoyne on the return:
ImageDSC_7572 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's fairly steep but not half as bad as Dumgoyne's direct ascent:
ImageDSC_7590 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Duncolm now visible behind me, i'm looking forward to exploring the Kilpatrick Hills sometime soon...
ImageDSC_7604 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Atop the steep bit the path levels out and points towards Garloch Hill, Canny Tops and Clachertyfarlie Knowes, with the boggy sections of the path well frozen over and a little slippy so care must be taken:
ImageDSC_7613 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

To the north on my left hand side Loch Lomond and the southern highlands vie for my attention:
ImageDSC_7627 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Trossachs and Strathyre Hills to the north east:
ImageDSC_7630 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I make good progress along the path towards the Canny Face and Tops:
ImageDSC_7638 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Dumgoyne's east face behind me, looking very much like an Octopus:
ImageDSC_7669 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Atop Canny Tops I stop for some photos, first the Slacks with Glasgow beyond:
ImageDSC_7679 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Mugdock:
ImageDSC_7685 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Dumgoyne and the path i'll be taking up it on the way back:
ImageDSC_7686 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Walkers up ahead:
ImageDSC_7687 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The way ahead to Garloch Hill which i'll go up during the ascent and Clachertyfarlie Knowes on the right i'll summit on the descent:
ImageDSC_7719 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I walk along, dodging a few large frozen bog sections of path, doing a few off-balance arm waves on occasion it was that slippy. On my left the view north is now a cracker, from Loch Lomond to the Arrochar Alps to Ben Lomond:
ImageDSC_7728 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Lomond with Beinn Ime the pointy peak on the left and Ben Lui the poninty peak on the right:
ImageDSC_7737 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

the ascent up Garloch Hill takes no time at all:
ImageDSC_7746 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Behind me i'm now above Dumgoyne's summit and I can make out the snowy peaks of Arran to the west:
ImageDSC_7756 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I catch up to the retirees and their dog at Garloch Hill cairn and stop for a good blether with them and the dog (I speak good "dog"! :wink: ) which is nice. I say i'll no doubt bump into them again and continue on:
ImageDSC_7769 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The summit of Earl's Seat is now up ahead and my path towards it will take me to over ballagan Tops on the left then to the right for the final ascent:
ImageDSC_7771 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

This section of the walk took a while as the photo opportunities to the north were immense and a stark contrast to the last attempt. Strathyre Munro's and Corbetts (Benvane, Ben Ledi, Lawers group beyond, Beinn Each, Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich) all looking brilliant from this angle:
ImageDSC_7788 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

To the east and slightly north is Stronend and Stirlingshire:
ImageDSC_7794 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Earl's Seat summit, getting there slowly...
ImageDSC_7796 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

To the west I zoom in for a shot of my home Isle, with all 4 Arran Corbetts in view and snow covered, jagged ridges looking grand:
ImageDSC_7797 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Across Stirlingshire to the north and slightly east I spot another very snow covered summit making Ben Chonzie stand out, possibly for the first time ever being a big round lump! :lol:
ImageDSC_7847 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

As the path is about to take me further south, away from the southern highlands, it's time for a closer look, starting with Loch Lomond and Glen Luss:
ImageDSC_7878 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Conic Hill:
ImageDSC_7879 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Arthur:
ImageDSC_7885 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Arrochar Alps:
ImageDSC_7891 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Lomond:
ImageDSC_7896 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Lui:
ImageDSC_7905 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Venue in full glory with Crianlarich Munros behind it:
ImageDSC_7920 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Double summit:
ImageDSC_7926 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stob Binnein and Ben More:
ImageDSC_7927 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A lot more snow on the big hills compared to the rest:
ImageDSC_7928 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Ledi:
ImageDSC_7947 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Lawers group Munros behind Beinn Each:
ImageDSC_7954 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The big Strathyre hills from the best angle, looking grand:
ImageDSC_7966 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Chonzie again:
ImageDSC_7971 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Loch Lomond:
ImageDSC_7999 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I press on towards Balagan Tops:
ImageDSC_8018 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Summit edging ever closer...
ImageDSC_8024 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Summit cairn and the view north east-ish:
ImageDSC_8035 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Earl's Seat trig pillar up ahead:
ImageDSC_8040 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8083 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Made it, trig point and fence:
ImageDSC_8095 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I now have the view south to Glasgow to enjoy, with Culter Fell, Tinto and the Lowther Hills all visible on the skyline:
ImageDSC_8103 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The city centre with Cairn Table on the Horizon:
ImageDSC_8106 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Galloway hills now distant:
ImageDSC_8111 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

To the south west Ailsa Craig is in view:
ImageDSC_8114 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Kilpatrick Hills and Arran to the west:
ImageDSC_8121 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

North west to Loch Lomond and the route travelled so far:
ImageDSC_8124 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

North east:
ImageDSC_8125 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The retirees arrive and I say hello as I continue enjoying the view all around me:
ImageDSC_8135 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

"Civilisation"... :(
ImageDSC_8198 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The west end:
ImageDSC_8213 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ailsa Craig again:
ImageDSC_8238 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Goatfell, Beinn Tarsuinn and Cir Mhor:
ImageDSC_8252 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Loch Lomond Grahams, still plenty of them to explore for me:
ImageDSC_8266 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I take a good few more zoom shots all around me and as usual it's hard to take my eyes off the big ones, Stob Binnein and Ben More:
ImageDSC_8297 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Ledi again with Meall nan Tarmachan and it's brilliant ridge now visible behind it:
ImageDSC_8308 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Tarmachan Ridge:
ImageDSC_8310 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Loch Venachar and Beinn Each, a great wee Corbett that I climbed at the end of October:
ImageDSC_8312 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich:
ImageDSC_8319 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Meikle Bin summit:
ImageDSC_8336 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It was pretty chilly and breezy at the top, after a sandwich and drink, and with the sun getting lower in the sky and the retirees already retracing their steps I begin the descent, not back the way I came but straight towards Garloch Hill on a good straight path off the summit:
ImageDSC_8359 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Quick progress is made as I view Glasgow again to the south:
ImageDSC_8362 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Approaching Clachertyfarlie Knowes:
ImageDSC_8365 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A frozen bog with the big hills to the north:
ImageDSC_8386 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I soak in the 360 panorama all around me again from atop the Donald Dewey, now the final targets are ahead, Dumfoyn on the left and Dumgoyne on the right:
ImageDSC_8462 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I cross the steep sided start of a burn and head towards Dumfoyn:
ImageDSC_8469 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Loch Lomond framed nicely between the hill sides on the way:
ImageDSC_8480 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

With minimal time and effort I reach the flat top summit of Dumfoyn:
ImageDSC_8491 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Glasgow:
ImageDSC_8495 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Dumgoyne and the view north:
ImageDSC_8501 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Possibly my favourite shot of the day:
ImageDSC_8573 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Right then, now just a quick descent then very steep ascent of Dumgoyne left to do, at least it will be short:
ImageDSC_8602 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I approach the crag of Drumiekill Knowes and a large bird of prey suddenly takes off and flies off around the corner and then as I pass it on the right the sheep up ahead scarper on my approach and provide a comedy "will they won't they?" Lemmings moment....
ImageDSC_8609 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Or maybe they have been practising their Lord of the Rings poses for tourists! :lol:
ImageDSC_8611 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Chuckling at the animal antics I approach Dumgoyne and veer right to find the path:
ImageDSC_8628 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

As I do, a flash of white startles me and a Mountain Hare runs off from seemingly almost under my feet!
ImageDSC_8634 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Perhaps he was hiding from the raptor that just flew off, in fact I may have just saved his wee life as he's gone to winter camouflage a bit early... it skips up Dumgoyne and vanishes, leaving me cursing yet another animal encounter without the big lens attached, maybe I should just keep it on at all times!
ImageDSC_8638 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A quick scramble up the path and i'm at the summit standing stone of Dumgoyne, one of my favourites, enjoying the view over the Kilpatrick Hills:
ImageDSC_8642 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

And of course this view of Loch Lomond which doesn't get old:
ImageDSC_8660 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Slacks and Glasgow to the south:
ImageDSC_8672 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking east at the walk done today although the summit of Earl's Seat is hidden:
ImageDSC_8676 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Culter Fell and Tinto to the south:
ImageDSC_8690 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Having taken far too many photos than is probably healthy, I set off for the very steep descent of Dumgoyne:
ImageDSC_8789 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Steeper...
ImageDSC_8791 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Steepest:
ImageDSC_8792 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Final stretch down to the burn and fence, across the field and back towards the Distillery:
ImageDSC_8799 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Crossing the field:
ImageDSC_8820 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Passing the lodge:
ImageDSC_8827 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8832 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Through the woods:
ImageDSC_8833 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Auchineden ahead again and through the gate:
ImageDSC_8839 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Back to boring low level again:
ImageDSC_8840 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Done and done. Earl's Seat has now been explored and it's another belter, enjoying sumptuous views all around (not so great to the east though) and vying with Meikle Bin as best Campsie Fells viewpoint and grandstand seat for the southern highlands.

Looking back at Dumgoyne from the lay-by:
ImageDSC_8845 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I peeled off my socks and got changed and said cheerio to the retirees who all passed and finished the walk just after me. It was yet another very enjoyable day up the hills and i'm looking forward to exploring even more of the surrounding summits.
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: 1 Marilyn, 2 Tumps & a Donald Dewey - Earl's Seat & Tops

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Good viewpoint :thumbup: Must have driven past here quite a few times but have never yet been in the Campsies. Does look interesting - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: 1 Marilyn, 2 Tumps & a Donald Dewey - Earl's Seat & Tops

Postby Chris Mac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:44 am

rockhopper wrote:Good viewpoint :thumbup: Must have driven past here quite a few times but have never yet been in the Campsies. Does look interesting - cheers :)

Thanks Rockhopper, yeah it's a brilliant viewpoint, especially of Loch Lomond, Stirlingshire and the big Arrochar, Crianlarich and Strathyre hills. I love how Beinn Each, Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich line up next to each other, get yourself up there at the next opportunity, you'll love it, lots of routes to explore and it's a quality viewpoint in almost all directions! :D
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland