walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fishy business by the River Earn

Fishy business by the River Earn

Postby denfinella » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:46 pm

Route description: River Earn walk - Crieff to Muthill

Date walked: 08/12/2017

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 80m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

1.jpg
Looking west from Crieff

We had the good part of a day free before a late shift at work, but where to go? Wind and snow showers forecast for the Highlands, so we set our sights a little lower, heading up to Crieff for a wander along the River Earn. We weren't sure what to expect snow-wise, but it turned out there wasn't really any at all, apart from a little on the higher parts of the A822 on the way to Crieff.

muthill.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As usual for our linear walks, we parked at the finish (Muthill) and took the hourly bus to the start - surprisingly cheap at £2-something for two people. Crieff was looking better than when we'd seen it last, with a few new shops and a Christmassy feel in the air. After giving into the temptation of cheese straws from one of the deli shops, we headed west out of town. There was a nice view of Ben Chonzie with a dusting of snow (see above).

The first section to the Stuart Crystal visitor centre is pretty indirect - the path winds around fields, woodland etc. - but we were in no hurry.

2.jpg
Hungry visitors

3.jpg
View north / upstream from Crieff Bridge

4.jpg
Several of these signs on gates giving background to the walk

5.jpg
Across the fields

6.jpg
Through the woods

Eventually we arrived at the Crystal visitor centre, and popped in to have a look around and warm up. It felt like we were the first under 60's to set foot in there for 20 years, however, so we didn't stay for long. The couples in the coffee shop watched us suspiciously as we headed round the back of the visitor centre and onto the riverside path beyond. The next couple of miles was the best part of the walk, following the river, full of ducks, fairly closely.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg
Geese coming to feed on surrounding fields

10.jpg
Goosander

11.jpg

At one point we watched a heron engaged in an almighty battle with a large fish. For a while the heron pinned the fish with its beak, before picking it up and attempting to swallow it whole, drop it with a big splash, then pick it up again and struggle to hold on to it. Very entertaining.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

A little further on we came across this grisly sight, right on the path! :shock:

15.jpg

The Highlands still looked stunning in the distance:

16.jpg

Somewhere along this section, the main path heads away from the river a little to follow the top of a shallow embankment. We stuck to the riverbank on a narrower path to get better views, but this eventually resulted in a problem when we came across a water-filled, deep channel: a straightened stream entering the river. The proper path was just beyond, but the stream was wide, with a slippery bank on the far side and unreliably-frozen mud on the near side. Going around would have involved a long detour though, and someone had left a long stick on the ground. Pole vault? Right foot first, I took a run up, and...

The frozen mud held. The stick bent alarmingly but didn't snap. My right foot made it to to the opposite bank and didn't slip. Success! Except... I'd forgotten that humans have two legs, and my left foot came splashing down into the stream - which was deeper than the top of my boots. Cue a wet foot for the rest of the walk!

My partner decided to make a running jump instead of pole vaulting the stream, which turned out to be more successful. Anyway, there were no more complications as we continued along the river. One high section of riverbank has been eroded next to the path - it's OK for now, but might not be after the next flood or two:

17.jpg

18.jpg

At the pillars of an old railway bridge, we turned right (signpost missing?), following the railway bed inland towards Muthill. The last couple of miles are on a mixture of paths, tracks and minor roads - two short sections are a bit muddy / boggy - though mostly frozen today.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg
Bog in the woods

On the approach to Muthill there was a nice, final view back to Crieff across farmland. Back in Muthill, I changed out of my wet boots and socks (thankfully, I had two socks on each foot so was able to discard the two wet ones!) before splashing out on a wonderful lunch at Barley Bree - a great end to an enjoyable morning.

23.jpg

24.jpg
Muthill Old Church
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Fishy business by the River Earn

Postby ancancha » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Looks like the work of fish eating werewolves :!:
Was it a full moon :?:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Fantastic experience with the Heron - lucky you!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby denfinella » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:27 pm

ancancha wrote:Looks like the work of fish eating werewolves :!:
Was it a full moon :?:

I know, very strange! :shock:

Alteknacker wrote:Fantastic experience with the Heron - lucky you!

Yes, fascinating - though my partner got a better view through the camera lens. We thought the heron was pretty lucky to get a second chance with the fish after dropping it!
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Lovely light, and a heron with eyes bigger than its throat...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby denfinella » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:15 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Lovely light, and a heron with eyes bigger than its throat...

:lol: We all know someone like that!
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:18 am

Lovely sunny photos - just a reminder of how beautiful even the less exciting parts of Scotland can be :)
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland