walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

North East of Jocks road

North East of Jocks road

Postby Benaden887 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 05/06/1993

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 33.5 km

Ascent: 1680m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

North East of Jocks Road. 33.5km 1680m 11hrs 05/06/1993

Finally Lochnagar – previously I considered this group over a weekend visit, but as I got fitter and became greedier, well, you know the rest.

I`m with Darren as we park down from Braemar at Auchallater bridge. I figure going in from here, rather than Loch Muick, should save us some 90mins. Gear up and walk up a heather glen, We flush deer from the river and they race away uphill. It`s a 5km hike on “Jock`s Road” an old ROW to where the glen widens a loch and lodge come into view. A large notice here gives the optional trails here. Leaving the track, we take a path behind the lodge that climbs up then goes SE above the loch, rounds Creag an Loch heading for Carn an t – Sagairt Mor @ 1047m. Just follow an old fence to the barren summit. Here lie the remains of a RAF Canberra which crashed in 1956. Pieces of engine, a wing and other parts are scattered about the twin cairns. The ground here is a high plateau of short grass, dwarf bushes and stones. The air is warm and dry, makings of a good day. More wreckage on the down an up to Sagairt Beag@ 1044m then again for views over the Stuic - rocky corries, Balmoral forest and Loch nan Eun We can see for miles, somewhere down there is the Royal estate. Back to claim a flat topped Cairn a`Coire Boidhearch @ 1110m, that would be hard to find in bad weather or deep snow. Hardly seems to be munro height, then NE for the summit of Cac Carn Mor. A walk around the edge of black spout for a rocky plinth that the round trig and cairn of Lochnagar @ 1155m stands apon. We take on fuel and soak up the views, a return past Mor for a flat area, then S down Coire Boidhearch, a glacial trough and a burn of the same name. This becomes a waterfall as it drops to Loch Muick. There`s not much water running down the falls and though not the recommended route we make it down, then cut across R over a wider burn for the long slope of Craig an Dubh-loch. From its top, an easy walk for the smallest of this munro crop, the rocky summit of Broad Cairn @ 998m. Super views of Eagles crag, Loch Muick and its enclosing glen. We eat and drink then head back. A dogleg to cross Cairn of Gower@ 983m. Less than 4km SW as the crow flies, are the two munros of Tolmount and Tom Buidhe also the high point of “jocks road”. An easy walk up for the blocks of Cairn Bannock @1012m. our final munro of the day. Not really tired at this point, it`s been a long day, with no real hardship and great views. Weathers bin jist great.
We drop with the Allt a Chlaigion towards loch Callater, this end of the loch is marshy with hundreds of nesting seabirds. In them before we see them it’s a squawking experience as we carefully cross over a nesting ground, birds sitting on eggs, some with chicks, to reach the hard track again. The noise continued until reaching the loch but eventually calmed down. We walked out down the track and reach the car. The only downside was a pair of tourists we overtook on the track.
Having left from Loch Muich they have come down on the wrong side of the hills. After this was pointed out, we find they have no map or compass and refused to return back up over the hill. They reach our car as we are ready to go and Darren drives them to Ballater and Muick cp for their car. An offer of money for a dram was refused saying better for them to buy a map and compass.
A good day out. More ticks on the map. Seen on the hills, birds hares and deer, a mass of folk on Lochnagar.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Re: North East of Jocks road

Postby ancancha » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:35 pm

I wondered about the lack of photos until I saw the date walked :!:
That would be very steep coming down the side of the cliff ?

White Mounth Allt an Dubh Loch.jpg

Sounds like a grand day :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: North East of Jocks road

Postby Benaden887 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:31 am

ancancha wrote:I wondered about the lack of photos until I saw the date walked :!:
That would be very steep coming down the side of the cliff ?

White Mounth Allt an Dubh Loch.jpg

Sounds like a grand day :clap:

I always thought the camera never did the views justice, so stopped taking mine, The descent was easy enough, for us being we both rockclimb.
Yes it was, the weather sometimes makes the day and really once you`re up the height, simpils
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland