walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Birthday wander on Creag Ruadh

Birthday wander on Creag Ruadh

Postby malky_c » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:48 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Ruadh (Kinloch Laggan)

Date walked: 21/12/2017

Time taken: 3.1 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 530m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Creag Ruadh
Date: 21/12/2017.
Distance: 8.5 km.
Ascent: 530m.
Time: 3 hours, 10 minutes.
Weather: Grey but clearing up a bit to some sunshine

First day of the holidays and I managed to get a cold :? . Not to worry - it wasn't that bad yet. Gill was working down in Kingussie high school today so I went with her and carried on to the Spey Dam. My original plan of Carn Dearg and Creag Liath seemed a bit long for having a cold, and the cloud was down on the high hills anyway, so I'd come up with a 2-part lower level day out instead, starting with Creag Ruadh and a traverse around to the pictish hillfort of Dun-da-lamh, and potentially following up with Creag Dubh later on if I still felt up to it.

It was also a change not to be working or travelling down to the in-laws on my birthday, and the weather wasn't too bad either :) . Snow mostly gone though.

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked a short distance past the holiday cottage at Sherrabeg and headed up to the edge of the woods. The way up this hill doesn't look too promising from here, the obvious ridge being covered in conifers, but there is a reasonable (if a little boggy in places) route squeezing up next to the deer fence.

New kissing gate

The kissing gates are a new addition since my last time up here - the result of someone on the Scottish Hills facebook page a couple of years ago noting that the locked gates were awkward to climb over, and deterred access. I have to admit I was a little dismissive at first, as I tend to think climbing gates and dragging yourself through a hedge backwards are par for the course on the lower hills. However, she didn't agree and wrote to the access officer at the council. Before long, the estate had agreed to put kissing gates up at the top and bottom exits to the woods. Good effort, Eileen Stark :)

Across the Spey Dam reservoir to Beinn a' Chrasgain

Above the forest, things get a little more heathery, then I was into the cloud. This wasn't part of the plan! On the summit, I had a good 20 minute break while the mist swirled about, almost breaking at times.

Stob Coire Poite Ardair

Almost clear at the summit...

...but not quite clear enough

In the end I opted to drop a short distance towards Loch Laggan, hoping to get below the cloud, before contouring back to the main body of the hill. This turned out to be a good move, as the curtains were drawn and this hill's main asset was revealed...perfect 8)

Improving views down Loch Laggan

...better still...

Lochan na h-Earba and Binnein Shas/Shios on the left

Creag Meagaidh somewhere over there

Ben Alder and Carn Dearg

That's more like it! Loch Laggan and the Easain hills/Grey Corries

Chno Dearg

An easy contour back east took me towards the 560m summit then onwards into the woods again. On my previous visit, I had dismissed the eastern part of the hill, deciding that it looked too conifer infested, despite the obvious horseshoe ridgeline that could be followed. However, having looked with interest at the hillfort at the eastern end over the years, I decided it would be worth a visit.

East from the 560m summit of Creag Ruadh

Last look back to Loch Laggan

On the ridge, the trees turned out to be well spaced and there were traces of a path. There were a couple of small boggy sections but I soon met a signposted walk which led me steeply down through the trees towards the fort. I was glad I had done this as it was a nice walk.

Following the ridge through the trees

Across Black Craig to Beinn a' Chrasgain

The hillfort was quite obvious - some of these are barely visible, but this one had the remains of some quite prominent walls, quite reminiscent of the one on Bennachie. Great views from here too.

Creag Dubh and Dun-da-lamh

I was about to head back to the car when I got a text from Gill saying she needed to be at a meeting at the other school she works in, back in Inverness. I had already wondered whether I had enough time to go up Creag Dubh, and now it was most definitely off the menu.

Spey Dam reservoir

On the hillfort

Creag Dubh from Dun-da-lamh

Pictish era toilet

Dun-da-lamh

The only minor problem here is that the waymarked paths all descend to the south, and the north is quite thickly forested. There was a short struggle through some conifers followed by a climb of a couple of deer fences and a crash through a newly planted area before reaching the road, followed by an easy 5 minute stroll back to the car. I was able to get back to Kingussie in a reasonable time, and shortly after Gill dropped me off at the house, it started raining. Not bad timing, and a nice easy morning out 8)

Descending to the reservoir
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Birthday wander on Creag Ruadh

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:02 pm

Nice wee wander Malky. Good pics.

Happy Birthday :D
Sunset tripper

Postby litljortindan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:11 am

A belated happy birthday! Always interesting to see somewhere a bit different though no chance of me vaulting deer fences and the like. But the hint of sign posted paths to a Bennachie-esque hillfort duly noted for future consideration and spousal mollification.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Happy b'day from us, too! :D

Creag Ruadh is on our shortlist for this winter, so we shall follow your footsteps soon. Hoping for some snow on the summit! The fort looks interesting and definitely worth the detour. Though maybe we will skip the forest trashing and take a longer walk on the official path :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby malky_c » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:22 pm

Cheers all 8)

The paths to the fort are a little vague on the map, hence why I'd never spotted them before, but this description gives you the deer-fence free route. You could probably make up a route taking in Creag Ruadh from the south as well.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/dundalamh.shtml
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby m3doc » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:57 pm

I cannot recommend your descent route. I suspect since you did it 5 years ago storms have produced a huge amount of windblown tree-fall making it virtually impassable and now not just a bit of "forest trashing". I struggled severely, crawling under and along trunks, scrambling over trunks, breaking branches, tearing my shirt then clambering over one deer fence. The only positive is that if one were to manage that, by following the deer fence separating the old and new plantations straight down to the road there is a slatted wooden section at the fence junction to readily climb over to attain the road.
My advice: Don't even attempt this descent route until the windblown trees are removed.
m3doc
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:222
Fionas:124   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:54   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland