walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three small balloons for the shortest day

Three small balloons for the shortest day

Postby Jaywizz » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Common Hill, Dungavel Hill, Middlefield Law

Date walked: 21/12/2017

Distance: 13.58 km

Ascent: 640m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This report should really be titled 'Spot the purplies' - purple Quality Street and summits are very special for me.
Three small summits on the shortest day of the year is a happy challenge (particularly when the driving distance is added). I had set my alarm for 6.00 am but woke every hour anyway - just to check I hadn't slept through.
First target was Dungavel, bit wet on the lower slopes but no problems.
WH Summit 1.jpg
Dungavel Hill 2.74 km, 200m ascent. McMole with the first purplies of the day

The next targets lie the west side of the M74, but when I reached the M74, the car automatically (no, not the driver!!) turned south - too many recent trips to Galloway added to years of heading to Yorkshire. Fortunately a fairly close slip-road and we were soon back on track.
WH Summit 2.jpg
Middlefield Law 2.59 km, 160 m ascent

WH Arran.jpg
Yes that really is Arran beyond the low-lying mists

The final objective was sadly the least attractive, but had been chosen in case we ran out of daylight and could be helped by a descent down a track.
last summit CH.jpg
Last summit purplies of the day - difficult to miss the turbines

Thanks to McMole for photo - and also for making sure we stood on the actual summit (not at the trig point).
WH View of mist gathering.jpg
Mist beginning to gather in the valleys - time to go

Our timing was spot-on however and we were back at the car in daylight. Longest walk of the day at 8.25 km and 280m of ascent. (Just for the record, we ate a total of 8 purplies during the day.)
A really enjoyable shortest day - now, with increasing daylight, time to look forward to planning more walks, and before that, to all on Walkhighlands, very best wishes for Christmas and the New Year, with many happy and safe walks in 2018.
P.S. I haven't put in routes/maps as these are well-documented in others' reports posted on Walkhighlands
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Re: Three small balloons for the shortest day

Postby desmondo1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:35 pm

I followed your Common Law trip today but in totally different weather, blue sky, freezing, snow and ice, great visibility, so probably enjoyed it more than your hike. Will post a report over next day or so.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland