walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cleuth (including The Law and Andrew Gannel Hill

Ben Cleuth (including The Law and Andrew Gannel Hill

Postby 2dalmatians » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Route description: Ben Cleuch circular

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Date walked: 16/10/2010

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 731m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After returning from 3 days in London with Lisa, the kids and her mum and dad I decided that a wee walk was in order to get rid of the London grime. So I decided to venture back to the Ochills after having had a really good day out climbing Dumyat a few weeks ago.

As usual checked out WH walk route and decided that it looked good to me and having gathered all of my bits and pieces (including compass for the first time) we set off from the Car park at Upper Hill at 1215pm(first left entering Tillicoutry from Stirling side). The route up to The Law is a relentless climb (comparable to any munro I have tackled so far), however it is a stimulating route which initially follows the gorge but then heads straight up the hill slightly to the left. It took me 1hr 15mins to get to the top 638m and then a further 35mins to get to Ben Cleuth itself. At this point I decided instead of heading over to Ben Ever 622m, I would tackle Andrew Gannel Hill instead 670m and put my rookie map reading skills to the test (a good test as actually all key points were visible (Ben Cleuth summit, the Law, Andrew Gannel Hill). We reached the summit of AGH at approximately 230pm having had a bite to eat and a chat with a lovely old couple (English - on holiday I think?) who had taken up walking in their early 50's (they must be late 60's/early 70's now).

Now here comes the interesting bit! On the way to the path by the Gannel Burn I met 5 guys (20'sto 40's) who were on their first walk but completely lost and looking for Blackford or a way down. I suggested they head to the Law and pointed it out to them where they could then go straight down to MillGlen and thought no more of it. After about 45 minutes I spotted them pathless at the bottom of Andrew Gannel Hill. I shouted to them that there was a good path down from where I was or they could climb 100m on there side to what looked like a sheep track. But they replied that one of them knew where they were going so I left them to it (again). After a further 30 minutes I saw them scrambling up to the path I was on where we had a laugh. about their "off piste" choice of route. I was walking at a faster pace than them so we separated. Not knowing the area very well it didnt click that Blackford might be a fair distance from where they were. And then I saw the sign at Mill Glen car park when I was driving off - "BLACKFORD - 9 MILES -->". Happy days!! My money is on them grabbing a bus or taxi from Tillicoutry :lol:

PS if anyone is in London and wondering where to go to check out walking/climbing gear then head to Southampton Street - I turned a corner and saw "climbers heaven" lol see video clip. It is not too far from Covent Garden.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG00542-20101016-1211.jpg
here we go!
IMG00544-20101016-1217.jpg
seems a bit dangerous! - rockfall warnings near start of walk
IMG00548-20101016-1224.jpg
the quarry
IMG00550-20101016-1246.jpg
so annoying when Ruby makes it look this easy!!
IMG00556-20101016-1331.jpg
The Law summit
IMG00560-20101016-1356.jpg
Ben Cleuth summit
IMG00570-20101016-1501.jpg
Andrew Gannel Hill Summit
IMG00571-20101016-1519.jpg
Looking up at the Law from the path on the otherside of Gannel Burn
IMG00575-20101016-1602.jpg
IMG00578-20101016-1631.jpg
All done, lets get some dins!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il1lEszpjTM[/youtube]

London Hillwalkers Paradise
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAuO8JgQmqI[/youtube]
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Ben Cleuth (including The Law and Andrew Gannel Hill

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:55 pm

good walk 2dalmatians..

good to see Ruby again :D making it look so easy
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby 2dalmatians » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Thanks Mw - that dog makes me sick, the more I suffer the happier she is - lol! Re your post on Snap Happy - youre wlecome to bring Meg and join me and Ruby anytime.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby monty » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:46 am

Hi mate,
Thats a nice walk. The route up the law is excellent training for the munros. :D It just goes to show that even these so called smaller hills can be dangerous in the wrong hands. I am very experienced in the hills and I was getting worried last week when the cloud was descending along with the darkness (not the group :lol: ) so those guys looking for Blackford could have been in real trouble. cheers :D
monty

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:28 am

2dalmatians wrote: - that dog makes me sick, the more I suffer the happier she is - lol!

even when we spent 9.5 hours on the hills, Mez still had energy. Sickening! :shock:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland