walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dorain and Beinn Dothaidh.

Beinn Dorain and Beinn Dothaidh.

Postby David Lyall » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:10 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 16/10/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1228m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Dorain 085.jpg
Beinn Dorain
The weather look promising so made an early start for once left Dumbarton just before seven. Arrived at Bridge of Orchy station just after eight. Headed off under the station across the West Highland Way and straight onto the path. The going was pretty easy although the path is wide in places a very eroded in other bits. Pleasant walk up to the bealach, the views over to Loch Lyon and back down to Bridge of Orchy were great. I headed toward Dorain first, following the path keeping to the ridge passing Carn Sasunnaich. I reached the top proper at 10.30 Again the views all-round were tremendous.
Beinn Dorain 048.jpg
at the top of Beinn Dorain. with Bridge of Orchy below.
Beinn Dorain 028.jpg
at the top of Dorain pretty sure ben Cruachan is one top in the distance

I then headed back to the bealach and then up to Dothaidh the path to this top starts ok but it is easy to loose it and end up in some boggy ground I would recommend staying higher I visited the south summit first then headed to the top proper, coming from this side meant the view over Rannoch Moor was more dramatic.
Had lunch and enjoyed the view of a Para glider floating above Beinn Achaladair. Brilliant day best I have had for a while definitely worth leaving this one for a nice day :D
Beinn Dorain 068.jpg
at the top of Bein Dothaidh
Last edited by David Lyall on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Re: Beinn Dorain and Beinn Dothaidh.

Postby monty » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:39 pm

HI David, I was up there today. I started at 0710 though. The weather was superb an the views excellent. :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland