walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aviemore to Loch Einich, A Cairngorms hike (day 1/3)

Aviemore to Loch Einich, A Cairngorms hike (day 1/3)

Postby kaketoe » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:59 pm

Date walked: 29/08/2017

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 414m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Please excuse me for my English, I'm just an 18 year old Belgian.

This is the first day of a three day hike in the Cairngorms with five other friends. I decided to write this report to help people like me, who are planning their first trip in Scotland/ The Cairngorms. To plan this trip I read a lot of reports and they were really helpful, so I felt that I had to write one too.

We headed out of Aviemore at around 9:30 after arriving with the caledonian sleeper from London Euston and doing some shopping for gas cartridges that fitted our campingaz stoves.

The way to Balvattan was pretty self explanatory. After that we lost the way a bit and we went through some heather to Lochan Deo. The views from the heath at Balvattan were very nice.

My friend Kevin posing in the heath
DSC_0005 klein.jpg

The way to Lochan Deo
DSC_0018klein.jpg

At the Lochan we had a little rest and we saw some English guys about our age who we had previously seen in Aviemore, they were headed the same way we were.

Lochan Deo
DSC_0022klein.jpg

The path from Lochan Deo to the entrance of Glen Einich was fabulous. We couldn't lose the way because the path was very clear and in a very good condition.

Am Beanaidh at the entrance of Glen Einich
DSC_0035klein.jpg

Am Beanaidh
DSC_0036klein.jpg

At the entrance of Glen Einich we took our lunchbreak.
DSC_0040klein.jpg

We continued our journey while playing word games and singing songs from The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit.
In the distance we saw the four English guys taking their lunch break. We crossed some mountainbikers who headed back.

The path was still good but in some places there was some mud
DSC_0063klein.jpg

There were some nice bridges as well
DSC_0080klein.jpg

And some nice fords
DSC_0091klein.jpg

The view into the glen, Sgoran Dubh Mor in the distance
DSC_0096klein.jpg

Wouter crossing another nice bridge
DSC_0109klein.jpg

Finally we arrived at the Loch at around 14:30. This was way earlier than we expected. We set up our tents and explored a bit. The English guys arrived about two hours later I think. In the meantime the weather became worse and there was a fierce wind. The four guys tried to set up their big tent but it wasn't really working so we decided to help them. While putting up their tent we learned they were from London. Their tent wasn't really good quality (Decathlon) and one of the plastic poles broke because there was to much wind. They decided to head back to Aviemore ( this wasn't the last time we would see them, more about that in my following reports).

Afterwards it started raining and we sheltered in our tents. When it looked that it had stopped raining we made something to eat (actually we boiled some water because we had MRE's). The water didn't want to boil because the wind blew the heat away. We waited very long and tried our best to block the wind but in the end we ate our MRE's without boiling water.

After our evening meal we played some games and went to sleep.

I hope my English wasn't too bad and the report was a bit helpful. There will be more reports when I find some time to write them. Next one: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=78550

Some views from the head of the loch.

DSC_0141klein.jpg

A waterfall on the side of Einich Cairn
DSC_0137klein.jpg

Glen trying to get some phone signal
DSC_0125klein.jpg

Alec and me testing our waterfilters
DSC_0124klein.jpg

DSC_0113klein.jpg

DSC_0120klein.jpg
Last edited by kaketoe on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
kaketoe

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:1

Re: Aviemore to Loch Einich, A Cairngorms hike (day 1/3)

Postby ancancha » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:40 am

Your English is very good :!:
Nice report :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland