walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Banishing the cold from hell...or not!

Banishing the cold from hell...or not!

Postby Jaxter » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:59 pm

Route description: Ben Vuirich

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vuirich

Date walked: 03/12/2017

Time taken: 6.35 hours

Distance: 24.36 km

Ascent: 939m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On paper this one was a non-starter as I was horribly ill and had a night out with friends the night before…but Colin had found a good forecast which meant a day in the hills was hard to resist :thumbup:

Other than feeling very tired I wasn’t actually feeling too bad as we arrived at the parking area near Loch Moraig which is better known as the Beinn a’Ghlo car park. It was chilly so we quickly got ourselves ready and got going.

Carn Liath, fuzzy because I’m an idiot and hadn’t noticed the lens was on manual :lol:

It was cold but it was a beautiful morning. The sun was sparkling on Loch Moraig

We passed through the gate (muddy!) and set off along the track. It was easy walking although a few icy places called for care! My lungs were not working so I stopped for a photo :lol:

Looking back to Loch Moraig

And then a bit further on I stopped again (yes, fuzzy because I still hadn’t noticed the settings were wrong :roll: )

Fuzzy for artistic reasons :lol: 8)

As we headed over a rise Carn Liath rose impressively ahead of us. I suggested popping over there on the way back :lol:

The sun over an unspecified hill :roll:

We passed the cut-off to Carn Liath near the wee hut, familiar to us both from previous trips. As we stopped and looked back I saw the unmistakable pose and colour-scheme of Wilkiemurray 8)

We continued down the track for ages, fortunately crossing the burns without problems!

Airgiod Bheinn & pals

Colin searching for meaning

Once we had passed the exit from the Beinn a’Ghlo circuit our path became much fainter and we followed the side of the Allt Girnaig until we found a suitable crossing point.

Glen Girnaig

Looking back

Colin & Jura

Colin made his way safely and easily across the burn leaving him able to photograph me incase I fell in. I had decided the bin bags were unnecessary here and this is a face of intense concentration :lol:

Sun hitting part of the Beinn a’Ghlo massif

From here we followed bits of path and kind of followed our noses along the side of the burn.

The imposing Sron na h-Innerach

Once past the steepest part of the Sron we started heading upwards. It was tough going for me as my lungs were still complaining profusely :shock: We hit the ridge and Colin made his way to an outcrop for a photo. I wasn’t going anywhere I didn’t need to and hid behind a rock to water the heather :lol: which meant Colin thought I’d continued and tried to follow….however I saw him heading off in what I thought was the wrong direction and attempted to catch up :roll: That was never going to happen in my state so fortunately he realised :lol:

“Colin, aren’t we supposed to be going up that one?” I asked…. :lol: Obviously, I instantly forgave him and never mentioned it again…. :lol:

Looking towards the Gorms

Loch Valigan

Correcting our mistake, we headed towards the correct hill and headed towards the final slog to the top. I decided to contour around whereas Colin went for the straight-line-syndrome option.

Contemplating life

Colin making his way upwards

There was no path so we just put our heads down and got on with it. Plenty of rest stops (photo stops) were required….

Finally on the ridge we followed it along to the trig point where I managed to climb a final hurdle :lol:

Colin on the summit

It had been a long trek to this point and we were only half way :shock: Hiding behind the trig point we found enough shelter to stop for a much needed sandwich 8)

The weather appeared to be closing in and we would be cutting it fine for daylight anyway, so after another navigational discussion we headed down, eventually heading to the left of Loch Valigan.

A ptarmigan

Beinn a’Ghlo

Colin heading towards (I think) Creag nan Gobhar

Loch Valigan & Beinn a’Ghlo

Atmospheric 8)

Looking back – Vurich in the background

We made our way downwards, picking up bits of path which led to the diagonal scar in the hillside ahead….

I was flagging by this point; the lack of sleep and horrible cold catching up on me but eventually we met the track to the south of Loch Valigan. It was full of snow and made for some awkward walking for tired bodies. We also saw some mole hills which made for some interesting “where the hell did they come from” discussion :shock:

Once we had dropped enough height to leave the snow behind it was an easy walk past the farm at Shinagag and upwards to rejoin our outward track. Despite the weather having closed in earlier we could see the beginnings of a sunset…

We upped the pace and found our way to a sunset spot….

Obviously the ones with me in are Colin’s :wink:

Once the sun had set we had an easy couple of kilometres left back to the car where we were able to see enough to take our boots off and Colin even found a Bounty :thumbup: 8)

Carn a’ Chlamain & pals

Ben Vurich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Banishing the cold from hell...or not!

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:12 pm

Some stunning rise and set pics there :clap: :clap: :clap: .

Did Colin find meaning...???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby malky_c » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:22 pm

Nice light in many of those photos :D .

I can only imagine wilkiemurray was looking over your way and wondering if that was the unmistakable colour scheme of Jaxter :lol: .

A group of us tried to cross the Allt Girnaig a couple of years ago when it was flowing quite a bit higher. I just about managed to wade over as I have some decent ballast. The other guys were all skinny fell-runnery types and didn't fancy following me, so I had to wade back again :roll: .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Jaxter » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:50 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Some stunning rise and set pics there :clap: :clap: :clap: .

Did Colin find meaning...???

Thanks dude 8)
I believe Colin is still searching :lol: :lol:

malky_c wrote:Nice light in many of those photos :D .

I can only imagine wilkiemurray was looking over your way and wondering if that was the unmistakable colour scheme of Jaxter :lol: .

A group of us tried to cross the Allt Girnaig a couple of years ago when it was flowing quite a bit higher. I just about managed to wade over as I have some decent ballast. The other guys were all skinny fell-runnery types and didn't fancy following me, so I had to wade back again :roll: .

Cheers Malky 8) :lol:
Fortunately it was easy to get across on this occasion. I've had enough of waist-high rivers :shock: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:05 am

Nice one Jaxter, cracking sunset photos as well 8)
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:07 am

Nice one Jaxter- you should've come over to say hello, I did remember seeing a couple pass and thought either they were heading for the Corbett or had missed the turning for Carn Liath :lol:
Some great piccies of the sunset there ,I was up taking sunrise shots but sunset looked better! My steaming boots vlog from this day is actually up later on today so will no doubt get round to posting it sometime later :)

ATB

M

P.S. Must buy some different coloured clothes :lol: :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby Jaxter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:31 pm

jupe1407 wrote:Nice one Jaxter, cracking sunset photos as well 8)

Cheers JP! Worth the effort 8)

wilkiemurray wrote:Nice one Jaxter- you should've come over to say hello, I did remember seeing a couple pass and thought either they were heading for the Corbett or had missed the turning for Carn Liath :lol:
Some great piccies of the sunset there ,I was up taking sunrise shots but sunset looked better! My steaming boots vlog from this day is actually up later on today so will no doubt get round to posting it sometime later :)

ATB

M

P.S. Must buy some different coloured clothes :lol: :lol:

I was going to say hi but we were pushed for time and I didn't want to risk passing on my cold :lol:
Your photos look wonderful as always :wink:
Don't get too colourful, wouldn't want people to mistake you for me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Some cracking views there guys and some great shots from you both! :clap:

Have you stolen my 1993 Purple Mountain Equipment Dungarees, I mean salopettes. Haven't seen them for a while... :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland