walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Sgritheall - disgusting ascent well repaid

Beinn Sgritheall - disgusting ascent well repaid

Postby tombombadilio » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgritheall

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgritheall

Date walked: 29/12/2017

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 9.84 km

Ascent: 1207m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was a very intense day, but totally worth it, as I hope the photos convey.

A beautiful slow morning drive from digs at Shiel Bridge over the snowy Mam Ratagan, through Glenelg to the remote Arnisdale followed by a tense period of weather watching.

Forecast was for very strong winds and poor visibility up until 1400 then a sudden shift to clear skies was expected, with the winds diminishing throughout the day.

Bit the bullet and left Arnisdale, later than I would've liked (1130), to reach summit for 1400, praying to the Metoffice.

Subsequently lost half an hour to energy sapping snow, wind and the disgusting ascent from Bealach Arnasdail up the eastern slope of loose scree to the final approach.

It was all part of the deal though as this final approach to the summit followed by a sunset descent to Lochan Bhealach Rarsaidh was a delight. Praise be the Metoffice.

Sunset views of Kintail, Knoydart and Skye in winter conditions from a ridge. Not bad.

Phone (for pictures only) failed at -15 just before hills turned pink and moon came out :-|

I've made peace with it now as pictures just wouldn't do the experience justice: silhouetted Knoydart skyline across the staggering Loch Hourn to the south, glowing moon reflecting off the snow lighting the way (no need for head torches), wind now minimal, silence.

Could not follow any discernible path off the ridge to the road, so freestyled it. Required some retracing of steps and slight reascent to bypass crags. Reached the road and considered kissing it. The Walkhighlands description is entirely accurate.

Met no human being on the 45min walk back to Arnisdale which bizarrely was in t-shirt temperature of 4 or 5 degrees, despite the starry skies.

Back at the car for 1715. Well-chuffed with my day.

IMG_7055.jpg
Arnisdale after 10 mins

IMG_7058.jpg
Getting rather steep rather quickly

IMG_7065.jpg
Bealach with deceptively disgusting ascent to come

IMG_7067.jpg
Looking back, first rays

IMG_7068.jpg
View after conquering the disgusting scree

IMG_7071.jpg
Straightforward(ish) ridge walk ahead

IMG_7075.jpg
Foreboding but still amazing

IMG_7076.jpg
Peaks near and far

IMG_7080.jpg
Narrowing ridge conquered

IMG_7082.jpg
BS summit (any angle will do, it's all amazing)

IMG_7099.jpg
Benefits of a late start

IMG_7100.jpg
Ample opportunity for bum-sliding

IMG_7101.jpg
This is getting silly now, photos every 1-2 mins

IMG_7103.jpg
"Ohhh, this is getting better and better and better" (John Motson, Ger 1-5 Eng, Sep 2001)
tombombadilio
Walker

Munros:258   Corbetts:19
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Islands:17

Re: Beinn Sgritheall - disgusting ascent well repaid

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:36 pm

This one looked excellent viewed from Bhuide Bheinn on the WH meet weekend. Glad you had such a good day for it, notwithstanding "disgusting" screes!

(BTW your pics appear slightly blurred to me...???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:32 pm

An excellent hill, but somewhat brutal even without the snow!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby tombombadilio » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Alteknacker: just checked out your and malky_c's report from Bhuide Bheinn - cracking. That Loch Hourn... I really must start opening up to the non-Munros if these are the views you get. And now suffering slight photography envy (I'm blaming bad light and spindrift... and the fact that it was a camera phone).

Mal: good point, potentially brutaller without the snow! At least you get foot holds.
tombombadilio
Walker

Munros:258   Corbetts:19
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland