walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro Sixty Five

Munro Sixty Five

Postby Chris Henshall » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:03 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 01/04/1984

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday, 1st. April, 1984:
My good friend Jon and I had brought a group of students up from the south of England on the previous day for a week of winter skills instruction and an early start saw us heading up into Coire na Tulaich in brilliant weather. A north east facing slope towards the top end of the corrie provided a good location to teach the basics of step cutting, self arrest techniques, different types of snow belay and digging avalanche pits before we moved on to the head of the corrie and then the summit later in the afternoon. It was my first trip to Glencoe in the winter and the views were above average!
Summit of Buchaille.jpg
Students approaching the summit of Stob Dearg (01.04.1984.)
Summit of Buchaille Two and a half.jpg
And leaving the summit of Stob Dearg (01.04.1984.)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Postscript: An extra Munro (08.01.1985.) Jon and I were back in Glencoe running a similar course less than a year later - in January, 1985 - and, after a similar introductory day elsewhere, we climbed Stob Dearg again with a bunch of students and decided to take in the rest of the ridge which, at that time, consisted of a relatively unfrequented series of Munro tops. Jon himself didn't come with us as he'd been over-dosed on laxatives by mischievous students on the previous evening so, while he headed for the valley, I took the rest of the group along the ridge for a grand day out, inadvertently earning myself the additional tick of Stob na Broige which gained full Munro status in 1997.
Summit of Buchaille Three and a half.jpg
Students on the summit of Stob Dearg (08.01.1985.)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Next Report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70871.
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland