walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon horseshoe

Glen Lyon horseshoe

Postby pigeon » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:45 am

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 16/10/2010

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 18.8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set of nice and early to tackle these four hills and was on the track at 0750.Weather was probably as good as it gets for this time of year with clear skies and not a breath of wind .Left the car park and set of up the track thruogh the woods and done exactly what many other users of the site have done and ended going the wrong way at the dodgy bridge over the burn,i think the best thing to do here is keep following the edge of the forest as it turns to the left and this should keep you heading for the obvius path up Carn Gorm .Anyway with this sorted i headed up toward Carn Gorm and got to the top in about 1hour 45 mins there are excellent views from here to the Lawers range ,the Crianlarich hills , Blackmount and many of the hills of Glencoe.Next up is Meall Garbh following a quite clear path ,decided against going over An Sgorr but looking back i think this could have been done without much extra effort . Aline of old rusty fenceposts can be followed up the rocky final slopes to the unusual cairn of Meall Garbh.It's qiute a long but easy walk to the next munro of Carn Mairg and this has great views of Schiehallion and the hills to the east.Had a good bite to eat here and set of down the steep rocky slopes toward Meall na Aighean by this time the legs are getting a bit tired so had a good rest at the summit before the descent back to the car park . It was on the way down when i seen the first people i had seen all day which included a guy who was on his last munro ,so well done to him :clap:. Got back to the car 6 hours and 30 minutes later with tired legs and sore knees but a great feeling of having climbed four big hills in one day for the first time in brilliant conditions with superb views throughout . :thumbup:
Attachments
266.jpg
lovely clear skies
269.jpg
An Sgorr i think
271.jpg
back down the glen
274.jpg
towards the Crianlarich hills
279.jpg
Carn Gorm
281.jpg
looking down to loch rannoch
282.jpg
me and my shadow
285.jpg
Meall Garbh summit cairn
286.jpg
Sciehallion
289.jpg
Carn Mairg with Schiehallion in the background
294.jpg
back towards Carn Mairg
297.jpg
summit of Meall na Aighean
301.jpg
waterfalls on inverar burn
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:127
Fionas:41   Donalds:39+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Glen Lyon horseshoe

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:59 pm

yup - you definitely had better weather than me - it's nice to see what I missed in the mist ! :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Glen Lyon horseshoe

Postby pigeon » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:14 pm

aye its always a bit of a bummer i done the buachaille etive mor in the clouds afew weeks ago and got zero views .Still ,gives a good excuse to do it again :D
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:127
Fionas:41   Donalds:39+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland