walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

surpisingly ticky descent in bad visibility

surpisingly ticky descent in bad visibility

Postby otter606 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 02/01/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I thought Mount Keen would be a good, easy, hike for a post New Year, short winter day.
From Glen Mark the ascent is indeed straightforward. Once we gained the south ridge at 700m the path disappeared under the snow. Not too much of problem on the ascent, take a bearing and keep heading uphill aided by a strong south-easterly wind.
Of course, trying to find hit the path on the way down was a bit trickier. We headed a little too far west of south and ended up coming down the steep heathery slopes next to the stream just to the West of Couternach.
I'd taken my Garmin with me - interesting to see on the exact route ( which I can't link to because of restrictions) that
clearly despite heading off the summit on a bearing of 185 we actually were heading SW off the summit - just goes to show the effect of a strong wind in near zero visibility to push you off course.
The bad weather and snow definitely made it a more interesting day out than we were expecting.
otter606
Munro compleatist

Munros:142   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:52
Wainwrights:15   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland