walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

UP AND OVER SKIDDAW - 6 TOPS - NORTHERN FELLS

UP AND OVER SKIDDAW - 6 TOPS - NORTHERN FELLS

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Carl Side, Long Side, Lonscale Fell, Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man, Ullock Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Long Side, Lonscale Fell, Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man

Date walked: 13/10/2010

Time taken: 6

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 910m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yesterday had been fine in the south but the northern fells had been shrouded in cloud until midday, as we set off early in the mist we hoped today would turn out the same. We parked up at Gale Road where a local said it would be clear on Skiddaw, kitted up we set off into the mist at 7.30am.

skiddaw.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Visibility was quite poor as we slogged up the pathway before cutting up Whit Beck, a slighter climb that led to the fence line which led to Lonscale Pike.
IMG_6812.jpg
Towards Lonscale
We were soon on Lonscale Fell and the gentleman seemed correct as we could look across to Little Man in the clear.
IMG_6818.jpg
Skiddaw Little Man
But by the time we had taken a few photo's the mist was rolling in like an old Hammer Horror film :D
IMG_6823.jpg
Lonscale summit at 715m
We retraced our steps to the top of the beck and then followed the fenceline, it was getting thicker
IMG_6842.jpg
Midway to Jenkin Hill
We crossed Jenkin Hill and met the path at the gate that takes you to the summit and misses out the Little Man, it was so dense here we had a quick drink and cereal bar but all of a sudden it was clear again. Time to tackle Lesser Man, a quite steep path.
IMG_6850.jpg
Skiddaw Lesser Man
halfway and the view up
IMG_6864.jpg
Lesser Man
and the spectacular view down with the island of Blencathra
IMG_6862.jpg
Towards Lonscale, now in cloud
As we reached the summit we had spectacular views of the inversion :thumbup:
IMG_6872.jpg
IMG_6875.jpg
IMG_6880.jpg
IMG_6893.jpg
Summit of Lesser Man at 815m
IMG_6876.jpg
View to Little Man
Time to move on to Little Man,our second Wainwright and still in the clear
IMG_6902.jpg
Little Man summit at 865m, Skiddaw behind
IMG_6910.jpg
View to Skiddaw
As we made our way to the Skiddaw plateau we looked back to Little Man and the encroaching cloud
IMG_6914.jpg
View back to Little Man
IMG_6918.jpg
Superb as cloud crashes into Little Man
IMG_6919.jpg
As we walked onto the summit plateau and its many cairns we didn't know this wasas clear as it was going to get :(
IMG_6920.jpg
Towards the summit trig point
IMG_6927.jpg
Skiddaw summit at 931m
We had a small break hoping the mist would lift but as it was quite cold we retraced our steps while making the final decision, I would go down the slate scree to Carlside and my husband would go back down to Gale Road for the car, he would then drive around to the Ravenstone Hotel. I set off in the pea souper and found it very steep down the scree with regular checks on the satmap,
IMG_4552.jpg
Scree to Carl Side
I found Carl Side and after retracing some yards I was on the ridge, NO VIEWS at all.
IMG_4554.jpg
Carl Side Tarn
It was quite easy to folow the ridge, a few people were coming the other way, not many photo opportunities but there was a Finland flag on Ullock :?
IMG_4577.jpg
Ridge below Ullock Pike
IMG_4579.jpg
Ridge
This was a great walk, hubby was chuffed to get to the summit and I had flown solo in not too good conditions, a good day all round, oh and those inversions 8)
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: UP AND OVER SKIDDAW - 6 TOPS - NORTHERN FELLS

Postby fedupofuserids » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:35 pm

Lucky :cry: , I've climbed Skiddaw 5 times this year and every time a thick mist has descended. Excellent pics :D

Must have been a good week for inversions had one on the High Street range earlier in the week.

Nice to see you leave the autobahn and strike for Lonscale Fell, I don't understand why more people don't go that way.

The Ullock Pike, Long Side, Carl Side route is the better ascent/descent route shame the mist spoilt your views, at least you have an excuse to do them again.
fedupofuserids

Postby colgregg » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:54 pm

Looks like you had a good day. Despite the mixed weather a clear summit is always a good thing. Some good pics too. Are these new peaks to you? If so you are certainly getting your wainwrights ticked of (I'm going off what you have recorded on the site, assuming it's up to date.. I (and all H.W. members) will be expecting an invite to your Wainwrights compleation walk. About this time next year?? Crack on there.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mountain coward » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:54 am

I was wondering how on earth you got back round the fell from Ullock Pike foot to the carpark again!
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks for the comments, yes they were all new fells and my total is up to date, very kind to say I will be finished next year, think it will be the end of 2012 at best; only started walking two and a half years ago so happy with the progress. MC you must have read too fast,it says my hubby went back to Gale Road and drove around to pick me up, we aren't that keen, it's a good way back. :lol: As for a final walk,my husband sorts the routes so he will probably leave a nice one for last, hope I'm not too old by then :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:58 am

Yeah, I saw where you said he went back to the carpark to pick you up - I was just meaning that I wondered how you would get back when I first saw your route when I started reading the post...
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:51 pm

Apologies MC, it's someting we might do again, with one car it's the only way to do a different finishing point, worked great this time :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:59 pm

Richard and I did a similar walk... we got the bus out of Keswick to Orthwaite road-end, went up via Ullock Pike and along the ridge and tops to Skiddaw. Then we did Little Man, Lonscale Fell and then dropped down and came back over Latrigg to Keswick. Worked pretty well if you get the bus on the way out so you don't have to wait around...
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland