walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bruach na Frithe

Bruach na Frithe

Postby davekermito » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bruach na Frìthe

Date walked: 03/06/2017

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I won't lie, when it comes to Munros I'm not an expert. Save a trip across the Five Sisters of Kintail a few years ago I'm pretty much in virgin territories in the world of Scottish mountains.

But as I was staying near Kyle with the family, I had to research a simple enough walk that would get me on to the main Cuillin Ridge without drama and would get me back to the wife and kids by mid afternoon. Unsurprisingly almost 100% of the suggestions pointed towards the walk up to Bruach na Frithe from Sligachan.

On a day that started cloudy and slightly damp, I could not have asked for a better day (overcast but with a cloud base at 3000 foot on climb, brilliant blue sky appearing when I got to the summit). The Skye mountain gods were smiling!

I won't bore you with the route too much as it is pretty much the obvious tourist path! Following the streams, waterfalls and little pools up I would describe the majority of the ascent as pleasant or even enchanting, but not necessarily exciting! Nice views to the North to the Old Man of Storr but fairly average otherwise. That was until I got to the ridge.

The view over the rest of the ridge, over Blabheinn, Am Basteir, the many lochs and the islands was almost beyond imagination. I'm sure the many of you who are on this forum could understand that the sudden and unexpected view can render you quite emotional! Climbing up to the summit with the views only getting better made me more and more excited.

As mentioned before, the clouds were clearing with every step. Only one cloud was left on the ridge when I got to the summit and that was over In Pinn. Half a sandwich later and all was clear - it couldn't have been any more perfect.

Anyway enough of the waffle, here are some photos which 'm sure will not do the views justice whatsoever!

Start of the day at Sligachan looking up to a Sgurr nan Gillean

One of many waterfalls - the route could quite easily compete with the overly popular Fairy Pools routes

The majority of the walk was through simple scree routes up to the Bealach ahead

Looking back to the North. Nice but nothing compared to the other side of the ridge!

Dangerously close to the ridge, still blissfully unaware of what was the other side. Looked a nice little climb to the top though.

:shock: Did not expect this

Nor this

Am Basteir looking wonderfully inviting even to me!

Only In Pinn in cloud. Thanks to the man and dog for giving scale to the picture.

Two minutes later

Incredible day, part of a wonderful holiday in an amazing part of the Uk.
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Re: Bruach na Frithe

Postby Coop » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:32 pm

Some fantastic pics there.
Heading up in May for a few days so hopefully I'll get the weather you had
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Bruach na Frithe

Postby davekermito » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:10 pm

Coop wrote:Some fantastic pics there.
Heading up in May for a few days so hopefully I'll get the weather you had

Cheers Coop - May on the West coast has always been good to me. Long days, little rain, midges at 10%!

Hope you have a good 'un!
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland