walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scottish National Trail - Poulary to Cluanie

Scottish National Trail - Poulary to Cluanie

Postby andrewl7642 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:23 am

Route description: Poulary to Cluanie

Date walked: 19/09/2017

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 669m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Scottish National Trail is a 536 mile/864 km-long long distance walking route running the length of Scotland from Kirk Yetholm to Cape Wrath.

The Trail offers very varied walking, following long-established footpaths for much of the distance but becoming progressively more difficult as it heads north, finishing with a tough stretch of backpacking - with some pathless and demanding terrain - on the final stretch of the Cape Wrath Trail.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

In Summer 2017 I spent several weeks completing sections of the Scottish National Trail.
My original plan for 2017 was to backpack the whole of the trail but due to lack of funding I could only manage sections where wild camping was an option.

I ventured out on three separate occasions and completed the route over the course of 15 days, as follows:

Trip 1 - Blair Atholl to Fort Augustus (6 days, 5 nights)
Trip 2 - Milngavie to Pitlochry (6 days, 5 nights)
Trip 3 - Fort Augustus to Morvich (5 days, 5 nights)

Along the way I made a video diary/vblog which you can view here on my blog page.
I aim to complete the remaining sections in Summer 2018.

Yet another long day on the trail as I walk 14 miles, and climb 669m across the hills to Cluanie, where I find an ideal camping spot beside the river. A visit to the Cluanie Inn is well worth a visit.

Mandally to Poulary (Previous)
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=77802

Cluanie to Morvich (Next)
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=77804
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland