walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Queensberry rules - seconds out, round two!

Queensberry rules - seconds out, round two!

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Queensberry

Donalds included on this walk: Queensberry

Date walked: 05/01/2018

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 10.4 km

Ascent: 550m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yesterday had been a dreich affair on Hods Hill and plans to do Ballencleuch Law and Comb Law had been swiftly binned in favour of an early walk in to Brattleburn. The walk in was a fairly arduous affair, particularly the section over Craig Hill, due to the significant quantities of fuel and alcohol being carried. Craig and myself were feeling it rather more than Kev, him having been out quite a bit in December, while Craig is a much less regular visitor to the hills and I had been idle in that respect since early October.

We were joined briefly in the bothy during the evening by a family group from Beattock who said they were regular visitors but usually just popped in for a few hours to have their dinner and sit by the fire, before heading home again for the night. They knew all the forest tracks and how to get their vehicle fairly close to the bothy. They set about doing their thing in the other downstairs room, which generally involved a lot of shouting and feverish wood chopping activity! One of the guys was very keen to show off his new axe which his wife had given him for Christmas and which was so sharp that he had even been able to shave with it! Mmmmmmm!!!! Time for a sharp exit! :shock:

I declined the chance to spend the night sitting in an armchair by the fire as I had done on my previous visit and spent a cosy night sleeping soundly on the raised platform, oblivious to the activities of Kev and Craig who were up answering calls of nature and tending to the fire throughout the night.

IMG_7364_zpsxtfcsayu.JPG
Brattleburn at first light

As is always the case with a bothy stay, the walk out in the morning was a pleasure in comparison to the walk in, with all that fuel and alcohol having been consumed. We made a cracking pace back to the cars near Middlegill and after a quick stop for some provisions in Moffat, were on our way up the farm road over Beattock Hill towards the parking area at Kinnelhead.

IMG_7365_zpsqnjswekr.JPG
Kinnelhead

IMG_7366_zpsjfixzx9b.JPG
A familiar green sign points the way

And so for my second outing of the fledgling 2018. It was a glorious morning as we set out on the track towards Lochanhead and then up the tree line towards the Pot of Ae and onto Queensberry shoulder, in the shadow of the windfarm, a seemingly omnipresent feature of the Southern Upland hills.

IMG_7369_zpsxsa09sxa.JPG
Kev and Craig on the track to Lochanhead

IMG_7371_zpsollamvgd.JPG
Back to the Moffat hills across the M74

IMG_7372_zpslpmazasb.JPG
Vapour trail over Queensberry

IMG_7373_zpsgxj0zvul.JPG
Approaching Lochanhead

IMG_7374_zpsw6lvtzkt.JPG
Burn crossing just before Lochanhead

IMG_7375_zpsjfjp2qv6.JPG
Start of the ascent proper

IMG_7377_zpsnr9r7nyg.JPG
Farmer on quad bike feeding his flock on the flanks of Peat Hill, snow covered Moffat hills in the background

IMG_7378_zpsda44rvjs.JPG
Thank goodness this monster bog was fairly well frozen!

IMG_7381_zpsrpgqsnfi.JPG
In the shadow of wind turbines

IMG_7384_zpswx79vk4v.JPG
Climbing above the Pot of Ae

IMG_7385_zpseavg88tr.JPG
Low cloud steaming in

The good weather and views didn't quite see us to the summit, where we were enveloped in a bit of low cloud. We could just make out the faint shape and shoreline of Daer Reservoir off to the north and parts of the route into Burleywhag that Kev and I had taken a couple of years ago, but that was about that.

IMG_7390_zpslx5eafyq.JPG
Last few metres to Queensberry and Kev's 50th Donald!

IMG_7387_zpsfkmmcoov.JPG
Not enough strength in that January sun!

IMG_7388_zpsuxulqoz4.JPG
Three stooges

IMG_7392_zpsxaee6yih.JPG
My first Graham since the heady days of summer and my first Donald since the heady days of 2016!

IMG_7393_zpsjopqzsum.JPG
Sporting the Asda FM look!

IMG_7394_zpse8byhvak.JPG
Name that album cover!

In the interests of a varied hill diet, we took an alternative descent route, heading on a more north easterly bearing to skirt Mount Glass before descending through the valley towards the little lochan of Brekeney Hole, where we picked up the track back to Kinnelhead.

IMG_7395_zpsaqbsahmb.JPG
Descending from Lochan Craig

IMG_7397_zpsqit1volb.JPG
Peathill Craig

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Queensberry rules - seconds out, round two!

Postby PeteR » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:49 pm

I can vouch for the bog on this route :shock: You were lucky to be doing it with the ground a touch harder than when I did it. It's a good alternative route though from the larger circuit from Mitchellslacks.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby malky_c » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:46 pm

I misread the early part of this report and thought you said someone's wife had been using the axe to shave :shock: .....moving on rapidly.....

Looked nicer than Hod's Hill, that :) . I quite liked Queensberry, but was less impressed with the rest of the Daer hills. Probably my state of mind more than anything else. A visit to Brattleburn would certainly improve things though - sounds like a good weekend 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:42 am

Good result and an interestingly different way to approach it. :thumbup:
Won't forget the peat hags on the other side in a hurry as I needed strong anti inflammatories after badly straining my right leg clambering out of one.
Often think the southern hills down here don't get a lot of press but many do make for good walking with some rather varied terrain - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland