walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Leven Circuit

Loch Leven Circuit

Postby Driftwood » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Route description: Loch Leven Heritage Trail, Kinross

Date walked: 01/09/2017

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 90m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Taking advantage of a good (becoming very sunny and quite warm) day's forecast. My brother didn't want to do any steep or strenuous walking, so I took him at his word and we made a circuit of the level and well-surfaced Loch Leven Heritage Trail.

After some walking through the town, we were onto the Heritage Trail proper. The first sections follow a former railway line, which was aptly remembered.

DSCF0276.jpg
Leaving Kinross

Then, the well-made (and well-drained) path led behind some trees and other reserve areas, with glimpses towards the Loch. As well as a dragonfly made from appropriately natural materials, woven willow and weathered wood.

DSCF0277.jpg
Wicker Dragonfly

There were plenty of others out, on foot or cycling. A few people were running the circuit - I recognised at least a handful of those on bikes and one woman runner when we crossed paths with them later on during the day.

I noticed some wildflowers beside the path; I'm more used to seeing these earlier in the summer (and much further south), but they were obviously taking advantage of balmy flowering conditions.

DSCF0282.jpg
Ragged Robin

When the path turns south from the Loch, there's about the only significant climb of the trail. This just ascends 15 metres or so (and zig-zags for much of that), emphasising how level the rest of the route is. And that's being said by someone from Norfolk!

There's a viewing area and sculptures at the top of this "climb", good to take in the views or recover from the demanding ascent. Though the weather was duller, even feeling cool, due to cloud overhead so we decided to head around to Vane Farm before taking a break.

DSCF0284.jpg
Sculpture, RSPB viewing point

Stopped at RSPB Vane Farm for lunch, then paused on some further benches as we went around the east and northern sides of the loch, taking in views and refreshment.

These benches bear lines of verse relating to local legends, landscape and other inspiration. I tried taking photos of most of them, though didn't get the words in full.

There were also plenty of ornithological opportunities - but I'd not squeezed a set of binoculars into my pack for the walk. Still, no assistance was needed to appreciate the many dozens of swans gathered in sight of the path.

DSCF0293.jpg
Swans near Vane Farm

The weather was also improving by now (nearly 2 o'clock), with blue skies and warmer sunshine. That brought a balmy feel for September, though made for warm (fortunately not hot) conditions trying to keep up a good pace back around to Kinross.

DSCF0299.jpg
Loch shore near Findatie

We left the lochside section for a short path through woodland, then turning past the Sluice House where a channel flows out from the loch. A grey heron was hunting the waterway, while a family of swans with their cygnets dabbled nearby.

DSCF0301.jpg
Grey Heron at Sluice House

A footbridge crosses the channel, leading to a pleasant section of open woodland. This gave glimpses of Bishop Hill, opening to a clearer view across the fields. There was also some activity evident from what the map confirmed is the Scottish Gliding Centre.

DSCF0307.jpg
Bishop Hill from near Portmoak

We made gradual progress around the eastern and northern shores of the Loch, with occasional pauses for a snack or, especially, a drink. As well as photos, taking in the views and gauging how long that progress was taking.

DSCF0320.jpg
Bishop Hill from the northwest shore

The benches grew more frequent near the NW corner, indications of a nearby carpark and road access. But we carried on, through several gates and turns near the Ury burn, to where the Trail passes into some more woods.

Those brought us out, eventually, to pass the grounds of Kinross House then an area with sculpted seats framed by a hedge near to a picturesque old Kirk. I took in some views across the Loch before we turned towards the town, back to the car and away.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland