walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bonny Perthshire Overnighter

Bonny Perthshire Overnighter

Postby basscadet » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Date walked: 12/01/2018

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 36.2 km

Ascent: 933m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had fancied a wander round the bonny woods of Perthshire for a while - I go there a lot for work, but never any time for exploring.. Easy paths too by the looks of it, and with ankle playing up the last couple of months, looked manageable. Left early-ish and got to the Garry Bridge car park before 11.

Pitlochry 11 1 18.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Nice stroll round into Glen Tummel, the trees round there are stunning, and the couple of miles along the road were sublime - cold, crisp and sunny :) Lots of sticks with jack frost's hair about - fascinating phenomenon.

ImageDSCN4020

ImageDSCN4022

ImageDSCN4024

ImageDSCN4027

ImageDSCN4033

ImageDSCN4037

ImageDSCN4038

ImageDSCN4039

ImageDSCN4045

I turned up from the loch on a track which the map said would take me up to Farragon Hill which was my vague target for the trip. Once up above the woods it started getting snowy though. I was so intently following a set of footprints, I ended up on the wrong branch of the track - the turn off had not been obvious under the snow :lol:

ImageDSCN4046

ImageDSCN4054

It was an easy mistake to put right - a couple of hndred yards cross conveniently burned heather. Not far up the track though, the snow started getting deep - mid shin, with drifts thigh deep :shock: Oh how I wished I had put on my gaitors - snowballs formed regularly behind the tongue of my boots :lol:
There had been footprints to follow, but the people involved turned back a bit further on and I was left to forge a path through the snow myself. Sometimes I left the track for a while, but knee deep heather with a few inches of snow, was just as wet, cold and energy sapping as knee deep snow as it turns out..

ImageDSCN4056

ImageDSCN4057

ImageDSCN4058

I could see the track climbing up further ahead, and I contemplated heading back. It was such slow, hard work - waist deep half the time now, but when I looked at the map and saw that I was only a mile from the top of the pass, I decided to go on. A couple of hundred metres up the road, I found the footprints of someone who had been over the pass :D That was encouraging, that meant I could get over, and the trail was broken already 8)
The time the snow had cost me, meant that farragon Hill was out of the question before dark, so I carried on down the track, meeting a herd of coos along the way - they thought I might be feeding them so tried to follow me - I quickly made my escape over a stile :lol:

ImageDSCN4059

ImageDSCN4060

ImageDSCN4061

Just a short walk took me to Loch Derculich - the sun was setting and it looked unlikely I would find a non-snowy camp spot before dark, but what luck! An open fishermans bothy - Had a few planks missing and a rotten door, but someone had lined it with plastic sheeting and left the biggest supply of candles I had ever seen. Lots of mice'evidence' about, but would do me just nice. The only stream I could find, only had slush puppy consistency water, so every cup of tea took a loooonnng time.. :roll:

The morning came after an epic sleep, and I found it to be claggy. I left about 9.30, heading eastward - there were lots of tracks up this hillside, but none of them really joined up, which meant short sections over the open hillside - was fun finding the way in the swirling mists.

ImageDSCN4062 Bothy on the left

ImageDSCN4063

ImageDSCN4064

I got on the right track eventually, and down to Brae of Pitcastle - It looked easy to get on to the Rob Roy way from here, which would take me back over to Pitlochry, but it was a bit tricky. Eventually managed through fields and onto the right path. The day was far warmer, and things were thawing out a bit. Not good for the RRW path - boy is it muddy :( Lots of sections through overgrown Gorse too, so felt like a pincushion a lot. :roll:

ImageDSCN4066

ImageDSCN4067

Eventually the path led into a forestry plantation, and down to Pitlochry. I crossed the Tummel at the Dam and walked down the far side of Loch faskally - Back on the beaten track :)

ImageDSCN4073

ImageDSCN4076 Cormorant fishing by the dam - long way from home surely!

ImageDSCN4079

ImageDSCN4081

Stopped for my sandwich on a bench and was instantly mobbed by ducks and swans - boy the swans are agressive round there - had to run away or they would of had ma piece :lol:

ImageDSCN4084

ImageDSCN4085First bridge in Britain to be made out of Aluminium alloy

Was an easy walk along the river back to the car for about 3PM. It was a decent walk - had a bit of everything :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Bonny Perthshire Overnighter

Postby ancancha » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:17 pm

A grand day oot as you would say BC :clap:
Kiddy cam still snapping away braw 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby basscadet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 am

ancancha wrote:A grand day oot as you would say BC :clap:
Kiddy cam still snapping away braw 8)

Aye, scratched and dented but kiddycam still doin the business :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Great photos!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:43 pm

That was lovely - and good to see a report from you as these days I've been missing some of the old names on here. A few years ago we had a holiday cottage at the foot of Farragon Hill and I kick myself now I never took the chance to climb it. Went half way up for a dog walk and saw an osprey's nest on the top of a pylon... quite a smart place to build it in terms of safety from the public! 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby mrssanta » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:02 pm

that looked like a proper murky morning for navigation practice!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland