walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Clachaig

Meall Clachaig

Postby litljortindan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:25 pm

Date walked: 11/01/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just a short walk that I would have extended if it hadn't been for the soft snow, a sore back, a sore foot and a sore head. Still. it was a pleasant day and I managed to get to a decent viewpoint with legs working quite well. Once there though my desire to ascend further disappeared and I just spent some time bimbling around the Meall Clachaig knolls and taking snaps.

The hard work of the snow had, in fact, depleted my two litres of water more than anticipated, despite me drinking an extra litre before setting off, so I probably was bound to turn back at this point in any case but it was useful to see what is possible logistics-wise; maybe carry an extra litre next time but I think that's what I did last January. That was in biting, breezy clag-fast cold though and for a much longer walk so clearly the still wind, soft snow and sun combo had quite an impact.

So no "proper" summit but still a new viewpoint and interesting trying to pick out the different peaks in their less familiar (to me) winter garb though my actual knowledge / peak naming ability was exhausted fairly quickly.

This was also a day for me to reflect on the loss of my father in December. I think he was pleased that I like walking though I don't think he climbed any hills himself.

ImageDSC04507 by John Little, on Flickr
Occasional traces of a path -icy but not slippy though the stony forest track had been quite slippy in places.

ImageDSC04508 by John Little, on Flickr
Aonach Mor.

ImageDSC04512 by John Little, on Flickr
Dunno -maybe Geal Charn?

ImageDSC04514 by John Little, on Flickr
Eassains.

ImageDSC04515 by John Little, on Flickr
Looking beyond Loch Treig to somewheres -Leum Uilleim??

ImageDSC04525 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04528 by John Little, on Flickr
The start of the Meall Clachaig knolls.

ImageDSC04536 by John Little, on Flickr
Looking west to I know not where.

ImageDSC04537 by John Little, on Flickr
Stob an Chul-Choire dwarfed by Aonach Mor.

ImageDSC04539 by John Little, on Flickr
Binnein Mor.

ImageDSC04556 by John Little, on Flickr
Loch Treig again.

ImageDSC04558 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04559 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04561 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04566 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04572 by John Little, on Flickr
Sunbeams.

ImageDSC04581 by John Little, on Flickr
Sgriodain and Eassains.

ImageDSC04600 by John Little, on Flickr
Back through the woods along the stony track with possibly Beinn a' Chlachair dominating the skyline.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Meall Clachaig

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:51 am

Had to have a hunt around on the map to figure out where you were 8)
Good viewpoint and a good day for it - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Meall Clachaig

Postby litljortindan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:50 pm

rockhopper wrote:Had to have a hunt around on the map to figure out where you were 8)
Good viewpoint and a good day for it - cheers :)

Was good to get even a short walk in as I'd had five weeks without football due to frozen pitches, a lot of my fitness usually being derived from football. The alternative of jogging round the garden or using the wife's treadmill I can only do so much of. I was happy to find though that my legs hadn't atrophied during their time off.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland