walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Corranaich & Meall a Choire Leith

Meall Corranaich & Meall a Choire Leith

Postby cjwaugh » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:00 pm

Route description: Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Lèith

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 15/03/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi all left the car park at 8.30 am it was actually dry for once took a slightly different line at the start of the route to avoid as much of the peat bog as possible
Meall Corranaich & Meall a`Choire Leith 15.3.09 001.jpg

Just a little to the right then rejoined the path at the fence line just before the wide ridge up to the first top of the day
Meall Corranaich & Meall a`Choire Leith 15.3.09 002.jpg

there was some good views out across towards Crainlarach
Meall Corranaich & Meall a`Choire Leith 15.3.09 011.jpg

Then at 10.00am first summit cairn and still no rain :D
Meall Corranaich & Meall a`Choire Leith 15.3.09 014.jpg

Heading off down to bealach towards Meall a Choire Leith i looked back to see a lot of corniced snow still on the lawyers side of the first top
Meall Corranaich & Meall a`Choire Leith 15.3.09 015.jpg
Meall Corranaich & Meall a`Choire Leith 15.3.09 016.jpg

You do have to be careful not to take the wrong ridge on the way to the next top just remember to keep to the right hand or NNE ridge as it mentions in the walking the highlands route descending then ascending to the final top of the day
Meall Corranaich & Meall a`Choire Leith 15.3.09 017.jpg

Stopped hear at 11.00am had a coffee break then headed back down the back of the hill to the car park and remember the slight alteration to the route to avoid the peat bog well no chance here.Got back to the van at 12.30 after a long splurgy walk out but heh it didn't rain at all . This is my first attempt at a report so hope its OK . :mrgreen:
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Re: Meall Corranaich & Meall a Choire Leith

Postby fatdogwalks » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Well done on a great first report CJ :D .

Did this one in very similar conditions a couple of years ago though I squelched my way up then double squelched my way back. You definitely beat me there!

How long did the report take you? Usually the first one is absolute hell :shock: :lol:
fatdogwalks

Munros:79   Corbetts:25
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby cjwaugh » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:23 pm

Thanks fatdogwalks it took about an hour i think but sure it will get easier :)
cjwaugh

Postby Colin » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Did this one last year, the first walk of a 3 day trip. Fantastic couple of Munros to start a trip with, perfect for a first day. Drove from Edinburgh, parked, walked and was still back at the car by 2.30! The second of the 2 munros was extremely easy. I had to check the map to convince myself that that was the munro! Didn't have rain either that day.

A great walk for someone just starting in the hills!
Colin

Munros:122   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby yokehead » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:54 pm

Nice report cj, looks like you were fortunate with the cloudbase. I was just a few miles west near Bridge of Orchy and the cloud was below the tops all day so no views.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby cjwaugh » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:20 pm

yokehead wrote:Nice report cj, looks like you were fortunate with the cloudbase. I was just a few miles west near Bridge of Orchy and the cloud was below the tops all day so no views.

Thanks yokehead yes i was very lucky as i approached the first top the cloud started to swirl in and i thought that was it but just as quickly it lifted again :D
cjwaugh

Postby mountain coward » Tue May 12, 2009 12:40 am

fatdogwalks wrote:Well done on a great first report CJ :D .

How long did the report take you? Usually the first one is absolute hell :shock: :lol:

LOL - my reports actually start off as e-postcards to my friends and then I just amend them slightly to make them into a report (take out names, incriminating details etc. :lol: )
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland