walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Addicted to Recovery (90), Meikle Bin Circular.

Addicted to Recovery (90), Meikle Bin Circular.

Postby UrbanExplorer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:41 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 15/01/2018

Time taken: 2.3 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 570m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So after slogging through the snow and wind on top of Ben Cleuch yesterday, my legs were a little achy, so what better way to easy them off than an easy :lol: circular up and over Meikle Bin.

The forecast was reasonable, the cloud and snow were to move in later in the day, plenty of time for me to get it done and then return for work at 6pm. So I jump in the car and head up towards Carron Valley Reservoir , only about 30 minutes from my home, so not too far.

On approach the hill looked clear, Meikle Bin to the left, Little Bin to the right.
Image20180115_121526 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

I quickly parked up at Todholes, gear on and set off at about 12:30, temperature was about 6 degrees, no wind and a little drizzle.

The walk in to the hill is via a hardcore Forestry Commission road, quite easy going, if a little bland, but there are some quite stunning views of Carron Valley Reservoir as you go.
Image20180115_123020 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

Image20180115_123239 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

The route to the hill is mostly well sign-posted, though I couldn't see one here, so keep to the left down the slope.
Image20180115_124533 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

Once round the corner then the hill comes into view again.
Image20180115_124707 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

Keep this view in mind, because you probably still have another 1-2 miles on the road until you actuatly get to hill path itself. Eventually you start to climb again and Meikle Bin is close to your left, you will round a corner and then at last you find the hill access path.
Image20180115_131742 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

I met 2 nice Forestry Commission workers here, keeping warm in their van, who made sure to tell me that "I better watch out, the weather is going to come in" I gave them a polite thank you and headed up the path.

The laid path soon disappears and the climb starts, from here on it was boggy and steep, the wind was picking up and the temperature had dropped a little, I wasn't going to hang about... head down for the slow plod.

View of the valley from halfway.
Image20180115_132404 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

From here on the snow started, not badly, but enough to keep my going in one push until I reach the summit.

Image20180115_133435 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr
Image20180115_133502 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr
Image20180115_134156 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

Rather than returning the way I'd come, I had decided to return down the east side of the hill, I was wanting to get a view of the waterfalls lower down. There is no clear path through the forest here, but there is a clearing I thought I could use. On the lower slopes I had to blind steer through the forest but I soon found the clearing I was after.

Image20180115_134817 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

Very boggy and uneven with grass tufts and moss covered branches, so going was slow, but eventually I crossed a shallow ditch and found a path running left to right. Though not marked on the map, I was able to turn right on this path and follow it till I again met the forestry road, from here I followed it round until I came upon the waterfalls I was looking for.

First view of Peggy's Spout.
Image20180115_141110 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

And a close up.
Image20180115_140734 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

Another waterfall to the left.
Image20180115_140350 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

And a final look at the hill from the east.
Image20180115_141401 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

From this point on it was just a case of following the signs for Todholes car park and putting one foot in front of the other. Back to the car for about 15:00, gear packed and off home for a coffee before starting work.

My legs still ached but my head was clear, still living just for today.
Attachments

Meikle_Bin_Circular.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

UrbanExplorer

Munros:48   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:11   

Re: Addicted to Recovery (90), Meikle Bin Circular.

Postby ancancha » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Looks like a good one for biker hikers :?:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Addicted to Recovery (90), Meikle Bin Circular.

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Like ancancha says, it looks like one that would be good as bike/walk.

Also less time in the forestry... :roll:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland