walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Icy underfoot on three lochs circuit and a Loch Ness sunset

Icy underfoot on three lochs circuit and a Loch Ness sunset

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Route description: Three lochs circuit, south Loch Ness

Date walked: 11/01/2018

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We left the car in an icy layby at the east end of Loch Duntelchaig and headed back along the road that runs close to the loch's shoreline. It was mid morning, the sky was blue, the sun was shining and there wasn't a breath of wind. I had dressed for the forecast low temperature but later had to shed a layer as I was too warm.

Loch Duntelchaig
IMG_4656-large.JPG

IMG_4659-large.JPG

IMG_4661-large.JPG

IMG_4662-large.JPG

IMG_4663-large.JPG

Just before the crown of the hill we turned right through a farm gate signed for Bunachton. We followed the track past a large house on the right and then through woodland.

Lichen above roe deer browsing level
IMG_4664-large.JPG

When the trees cleared on the right there were views back to Loch Duntelchaig and the hills beyond
IMG_4665-large.JPG

IMG_4666-large.JPG

We remembered this part of the route had been wet and muddy when we walked it previously, and at one point having to detour through the trees because the track was water-logged. We thought this time would be okay as the ground was frozen but when we got to the same spot the same 'moat' was there and had to be bypassed as before.

IMG_4667-large.JPG

When we reached the road we turned left and passed the Mains of Bunachton farmhouse on the right. Not far beyond the farmhouse and before the next plantation we turned right through a farm gate and followed an icy track towards a second farm gate. We were glad of our microspikes on this section as the sheet ice was pretty lethal. :o

Icy track
IMG_4668-large.JPG

This led to another farm gate which we opened before noticing two black bulls eyeing us with interest.

Two bulls barring our path
IMG_4669-largec.JPG

They looked docile enough and their interest was probably in the hope we were bringing a bale of hay for lunch but we decided not to take unnecessary risks and closed the gate again, taking an alternative route along the other side of the fence. This led to another fence and a deep watery ditch which we crossed just as another walker caught up with us. He had spoken to the farmer who had mentioned the two bulls and he too had decided not to have a closer encounter with them than he had to. Our next obstacle was an electric fence which he crossed first and warned us it had given him a slight shock so we were careful how we crossed, which we did without incident. Walkhighlands advises about how to negotiate the electric fence, which would have been helpful had we read it first! 8)

Loch Bunachton is a lovely spot so we found a rock to park ourselves for lunch, which turned out to be a geocaching hiding place complete with plastic container. We had a look inside but didn't interact with it and hid it again as we're not geocaching people who would exchange a rubber for a pencil sharpener or some other essential small item. :think:

Loch Bunachton
IMG_4670-largec.JPG

This loch is popular with fishermen and grebes - but we didn't see any sign of either species while we were there.

IMG_4671-large.JPG

Leaving lunch spot (Moira's pic)
26686078_10155972227728788_8099123227141045009_o-large.jpg

Moira
IMG_4672-largec.JPG

We left the lochside and followed the track through pinewoods for about 1km to a junction with a track to the left where we took the right fork. This led to a minor road where we had to check the map for which way to turn, which was left. The road continues downhill to a T junction with a sign for Dunlichity.

Right turn for Dunlichity
IMG_4673-large.JPG

We didn't take time to explore the old churchyard of Dunlichity Church but I've been in there a few times before and it's interesting to read some of the inscriptions on the old gravestones. The present building was erected in 1758 on the site of an earlier chapel. There's a story that the soldiers supporting the Jacobite cause sharpened their swords on part of the old wall and there are some unexplained grooves still visible which could have led to this story. But, true or not, it didn't lead to victory. After the disastrous Battle of Culloden the bonny prince took shelter in a house in Strathnairn which belonged to some of my ancestors and for a while (a long time ago) we had an old dropleaf table that came out of that house. It sat in a bedroom, had a bit of woodworm and to make room for furniture for the kids we eventually returned it to my parents. We lived to regret that as my dad made a work bench out of it for his garage! When I think what that table might have been worth now... :shh:

Photos of churchyard from a previous visit in May
IMG_6884-large.jpg

IMG_6892-large.jpg

Instead of going in again we paid our respects to the cattle in the field opposite.

Dunlichity cow blending with her surroundings
IMG_4674-largec.JPG

IMG_4675-largec.JPG

From Dunlichity we continued along the road to Loch a' Chlachain, meaning 'loch of the church'. This pretty loch is another good location for birdwatching and also for wild swimming on account of the sharp drop off from the bank.

Loch a' Chlachain
IMG_4676-large.JPG

No wild swimming today? :-P

Partially frozen loch (M's pic)
26841196_10155972230283788_2401636614880740370_o-large.jpg

Ice crazy paving
IMG_4681-large.JPG

From Loch a' Chlachain it's only a short distance along the road to the layby where we left the car. For a cup of coffee one of the nicest places to go from Loch Duntelchaig is the Dores Inn, on the shore of Loch Ness. And even if you don't go in for a coffee, which on this occason we didn't, it's worth stopping for ten minutes to get the view from the beach looking down the length of the loch with the familiar sugarloaf shape of Meall Fuar-mhonaidh on the right. :D

Loch Ness sunset from Dores beach
IMG_4607-large.JPG

IMG_4610-large.JPG
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Icy underfoot on three lochs circuit and a Loch Ness sun

Postby mrssanta » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:58 pm

that was beautiful. I love the picture of the shards of ice all jumbled up
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby ancancha » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:25 pm

A fair amount of Loch hopping there Dog Plodder :!:
You and Moira will be buying a canoe next :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:05 pm

mrssanta wrote:that was beautiful. I love the picture of the shards of ice all jumbled up

:D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:00 pm

ancancha wrote:A fair amount of Loch hopping there Dog Plodder :!:
You and Moira will be buying a canoe next :lol:

Aye right. :lol:
dogplodder

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:03 pm

It's been a while since we did this route - I remember it was a bogfeast, so walking it when the bog is frozen seems a great idea :lol: I loved the Dunlichity "blending-in" cow photos :D

ancancha wrote:You and Moira will be buying a canoe next :lol:

I think two snorkeling sets would be a better solution :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby ancancha » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:10 pm

BlackPanther wrote:It's been a while since we did this route - I remember it was a bogfeast, so walking it when the bog is frozen seems a great idea :lol: I loved the Dunlichity "blending-in" cow photos :D

Interestingly there is a small lough ( Irish spelling, though they call them lakes ) a couple of kilometres down the road, and a lady in her fifties walk runs the 3 kilometres from the village to the lough every day for a swim :clap: supposed to be very good for you :!:
So maybe you are onto something there panther :wink:
The lady here uses a shorty wet suit, covers the torso and upper arms and legs. You gonna allow Dog Plodder and Moira a full wet suit as well :?:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby malky_c » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:12 pm

Beautiful :D . I've never done this as a specific route, but I think I've covered all of that ground at one time or another - either running, walking or on the bike. Certain bits of it make up some of my favourite local places to visit.

I don't know if you spotted the little hut by Loch Bunachton - I'd seen it in the distance a few times but only went up to investigate more recently:

malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dogplodder » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:02 pm

BlackPanther wrote:It's been a while since we did this route - I remember it was a bogfeast, so walking it when the bog is frozen seems a great idea :lol: I loved the Dunlichity "blending-in" cow photos :D

The day we did it lethal ice was the problem more than lethal bog! :eh:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:06 pm

ancancha wrote:
Interestingly there is a small lough ( Irish spelling, though they call them lakes ) a couple of kilometres down the road, and a lady in her fifties walk runs the 3 kilometres from the village to the lough every day for a swim :clap: supposed to be very good for you :!:

The lady here uses a shorty wet suit, covers the torso and upper arms and legs. You gonna allow Dog Plodder and Moira a full wet suit as well :?:

The thought of an older lady in a shorty wetsuit is alarming to say the least. :shock:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:11 pm

malky_c wrote:Beautiful :D . I've never done this as a specific route, but I think I've covered all of that ground at one time or another - either running, walking or on the bike. Certain bits of it make up some of my favourite local places to visit.

I don't know if you spotted the little hut by Loch Bunachton - I'd seen it in the distance a few times but only went up to investigate more recently:

No, didn't spot it. Too busy examining contents of geocache box. :shifty:
dogplodder

Postby ancancha » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:13 pm

dogplodder wrote:
ancancha wrote:

The thought of an older lady in a shorty wetsuit is alarming to say the least. :shock:

:lol: this last couple of days is the first time snow has lain on the ground for any length of time in the almost three years I have been here, other than on the mountains. There was a reasonable amount of ice on the small pond in the garden as well :!:
Anyway Cora, true to form was up at the lough in her shorty for the daily constitutional :shock:
Remarkable :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland