walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Castle Dounie

Castle Dounie

Postby denfinella » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Route description: Castle Dounie and the Crinan Trail

Date walked: 10/01/2018

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 260m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm trying to be a bit more succinct in my walk reports for 2018, so I've scrapped the text but kept most of the photos!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Weather: Cloudy to start, becoming sunnier. Dry with light winds, about 5 degrees.
Underfoot: Good tracks and paths. A few muddy / boggy bits, helped by partially frozen ground. Section nearest Crinan is probably tidal.
Navigation: Straightforward: WH directions & map are fine; route is mostly waymarked.
Notes: Our first proper walk of 2018, on the way to a few days on Islay. Well worth the small detour, and not a soul around (even in Crinan itself) apart from a man walking his dog. Superb views from the top, and we thought we could hear the Corryvreckan whirlpool.

Castle Dounie.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Castle Dounie

Postby iangpark » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Ach you lucky bugger denfinella! I climbed Cnoc Reamhar right beside the ruin last summer on a glorious day but didn't have the energy to go visit. We've got a caravan in Tayvallich nearby so quite ashamed of still not having visited. Argyll looks so spectacular in the autumn/winter but we only ever get to see it in summer :? I've heard the walk from Carsaig to Crinan gives way to stunning views but we've only ever managed half of it.

Hope the visit to Islay pays off - I was there for 3 weeks last summer too and it was spectacular. Do give the wild NW coast at Sanaigmore a visit if time allows (and the Oa of course!) :D
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby denfinella » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:44 pm

Thanks Iain - definitely no excuse if you've a caravan nearby! :lol:

It was the first time we'd visited this part of Scotland in the winter too - beautiful, but short daylight hours of course.

We're already back from Islay - it was just a flying visit (extended by a night after the ferries were cancelled!). We visited Sanaigmore back in 2016, but paid our first visit to the Oa this time. It was extremely quiet on the island - that was both good and bad. We had all the sights to ourselves, but it was very difficult finding accommodation which wasn't closed for the season.

Hadn't considered the full route to Carsaig (is there public transport to get you back?). Perhaps next time.
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby iangpark » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:44 am

Aye the daylight hours are still very much in effect - Knapdale is just such a wonderful part of Argyll. I imagine the Islay weather must have been all over the place! It is a big island to explore but every kilometre of coastline is worth it, especially the Oa :D (I rolled the reserve's minivan sideways off an embankment when I was there - must have been distracted by the view). Even in summer the island is rather desolate, must have been great to have it all to yourselves!

There is a bus to Tayvallich from Lochgilphead via Crinan so in essence it could be made into a full loop :)
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby denfinella » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks Ian :thumbup:

Sounds like you've had a few adventures there!
denfinella
Wanderer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland