walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Collieston to Old Slains

Collieston to Old Slains

Postby Weejohn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:33 pm

Route description: Collieston and Old Slains Castle

Date walked: 18/01/2018

Distance: 4.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having seen the two previous reports I felt that I needed to add my threepence worth. First, I must declare an interest - I live in Collieston and this is a regular wander for me.
The path - not great in places when wet; not too dangerous, but requiring care. When dry it has even been cycled (by my sons!).
The walk - starting at Cransdale the area known as Saint Catherine’s Dub lies off the shore. It is the resting place of the Santa Caterina, a Flemish ship which was wrecked when delivering cannon to the Earl of Errol for use in the Catholic rebellion of 1594. In reprisal, James IV and I destroyed the castle (Old Slains) with “gunpowder and cannon”. An anchor and two cannon were raised from the wreck of the Santa Caterina and can be seen near to the castle ruin.
The walk to the castle, depending on the season and your luck, can provide varied flora and birds as well as seals, porpoise, dolphins, humpback whales, orca and the local coastal rowing club Skiff “Admiral Redsocks” powering up the coast.
On reaching Oldcastle, it is worthwhile checking out the stack at the end of the peninsula- use binoculars - as, during the nesting season, it is the home of dozens of puffins.
Weejohn
Stravaiging

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland